Graviteam
April 29, 2024, 09:36:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Squad vs Platoon vs Company selection  (Read 6181 times)
Killjoy12
Hauptmann

« on: July 09, 2012, 06:28:53 PM »

I'm a little unclear as to how these filters work in the new UI.   Can someone explain the difference among the three?   

I'm also not sure how to proper select all the members of a squad via the buttons.    For example, without changing the filters, if I select the unit box and give it a command, it appears to be selecting/ordering only one of the squads.   But I can't see any way to toggle among the squads.  How do I give a separate order to each of the squads?     Any help is appreciated....
Shadrach
Major

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »

Hm, not sure if I understand the question correctly, maybe it's bloody obvious what you're asking and I'm just being daft again. Anyway here goes.

To give separate orders you select each squad (top row) and give an order to each.
To give an order to a couple of squads in a platoon use ctrl+click to select them and give the order.
To give an order to the whole platoon you click the platoon icon, selecting every squad and give the order.
To give an order to a whole bunch a dudes just click+drag mouse over them and give the order.

You can't really select squads from /different/ platoons using the buttons, you need to select them using ctrl+click on the map.

Not sure what you mean by 'toggle among the squads'.

HTH Smiley
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »

You can also left click/ hold and draw a box around a group of/or individual squads that you would like to give commands to.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:43:20 PM by dane49 » Logged
Killjoy12
Hauptmann

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »

Thanks - I'll have to try this again tonight, but I had thought I clicked on the platoon icon and gave a move order, of which only about 1/2 of the squads in the platoon followed the order.

Aside from this, what are the effects of the right-click filters on the platoon icons?

Hm, not sure if I understand the question correctly, maybe it's bloody obvious what you're asking and I'm just being daft again. Anyway here goes.

To give separate orders you select each squad (top row) and give an order to each.
To give an order to a couple of squads in a platoon use ctrl+click to select them and give the order.
To give an order to the whole platoon you click the platoon icon, selecting every squad and give the order.
To give an order to a whole bunch a dudes just click+drag mouse over them and give the order.

You can't really select squads from /different/ platoons using the buttons, you need to select them using ctrl+click on the map.

Not sure what you mean by 'toggle among the squads'.

HTH Smiley
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:24:06 PM by Killjoy12 » Logged
Shadrach
Major

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »

Thanks - I'll have to try this again tonight, but I had thought I clicked on the platoon icon and gave a move order, of which only about 1/2 of the squads in the platoon followed the order.

Aside from this, what are the effects of the right-click filters on the platoon icons?

Was it a vehicle unit (Tank/APC)? Sometimes they are immobilized for various reasons and only way to find out is select it and look at the status icon in the UI.

As to the filters, Redmarkus had a really great guide on one use for them:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3137363

I still have no idea what the "Select by squads/platoon/company" buttons do though, maybe the Graviteam guys can give some clue  Huh?
Killjoy12
Hauptmann

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »

That part of the guide makes sense.   Like you, I still don't see what the Squad/Platoon/Company selection filter does.
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 08:34:52 PM »

The menu for selection mode and filters (remain selected) is a bit confusing, indeed. However, selection mode and filter in that menu are two separate things.

Selection mode (squad, platoon, coy) is not a filter. It defines a type of automatic selection when you drag a selection box around one or more units.
- Selection by squads: "standard" selection, i.e. drag a selection box and those units are selected
- Selection by platoons: drag a selection box around unit(s) and all the units belonging to the same platoon(s) will also be selected in addition to selected unit(s).
- Selection by coys: works like selection by platoons, but this time selects companies.

Filter (remain selected), if applied, defines what types of units will remain selected - as discussed here.

Hopefully this was helpful.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:54:26 PM by lavish » Logged
Killjoy12
Hauptmann

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:52:23 PM »

Oh, ok.   So the selection mode only applies to the selection box.    Makes sense.  Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: