Graviteam
April 28, 2024, 09:43:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire communication in game  (Read 13050 times)
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« on: December 03, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »

Subj
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrfuepggMaA&feature=youtu.be

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:20:12 PM »

That will take some getting used to.

But it seems to be a more realistic way to transfer information and simulate command and control.
Capt Sam
Major

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:02:27 AM »

Very interesting.  I suppose that little guy is laying the telephone wire, and this will only work with static positions.  If a team moves, then communication is lost.  I don't suppose the Soviets or Germans had (m)any man carried radios.

I suppose a very hardcore way to play is to only give orders to units that have contact with commanders.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:07:33 AM »

I hope we will see some detailed instructions in English for this new system of communication,I'm still a little confused.

Cpt. Sam thinks the little guy is laying commo wire,and I thought the little guy was a runner or messenger.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 05:51:06 AM »

I hope we will see some detailed instructions in English for this new system of communication,I'm still a little confused.

Cpt. Sam thinks the little guy is laying commo wire,and I thought the little guy was a runner or messenger.
Its a fully automatic feature, no need for any instructions or actions from the player.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 06:01:41 AM »

OK,
I guess it shouldn't be too hard to master after a few quick battle trial runs then.
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 07:35:16 AM »

Would be cool if we had runners and command delay for units outside visual range and no radio.
Capt Sam
Major

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »

Would be cool if we had runners and command delay for units outside visual range and no radio.

Runners as the command delay is a good idea.

This also raises some questions:

(1) Is this only for dug-in positions?
(2) Will explosions or enemy infantry cut the lines?
(3) Is there an option to not lay the lines, if for example, units are hiding and don't want someone running around establishing communications?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:17:56 AM by Capt Sam » Logged
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »

Its a wire communication not a command or delay  Grin
Delay is a bad for gameplay.

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:46:01 AM »

(1) Is this only for dug-in positions?
No

(2) Will explosions or enemy infantry cut the lines?
Explosions yes,  infantry no - without fanatism please  Grin

(3) Is there an option to not lay the lines, if for example, units are hiding and don't want someone running around establishing communications?
Yes of course, in this video this moment is showed too.

wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 04:15:19 PM »

Not sure if command delay is bad for gameplay..the old CM series had it, Tigers Unleashed has it in a very hardcore way and Command Ops has it..if done right it elevates the game in terms of realism.

As there is no command delay I'm not sure what benefit wire communication has? Is it in terms of arty accuracy only?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 05:25:49 PM »

Not sure if command delay is bad for gameplay..the old CM series had it, Tigers Unleashed has it in a very hardcore way and Command Ops has it..if done right it elevates the game in terms of realism.

Imagine that the game is so slow or lag - it is irritating and unnatural for the player. Here, too, the most artificial delays, which were not motivated to spoil the gameplay and annoy the player.
A typical example for APOS and CM - delay when called arty barrage. Looks some stupid, because although it has a little to do with realism, but in fact dirty fake which is ungrounded for the player. Fake delays its to hardcore to be a realistic.

As there is no command delay I'm not sure what benefit wire communication has?
Commands not sended due to communications in our or any another game (with one exception in Napoleonic era wargame). I dont know.
Good or bad it turns out when we do it in our game Cheesy

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »

I just want to chime in and say como wire is totally legit.  Still used today in US ARMY.  Not often but still around.  Its fast and can not be intersepted.  Well unless its me vary tired driving a bradley fighting vehicle and seeing badly laid commo wire across a road and saying F it, they should have but that somewhere else.   Lips Sealed Embarrassed

Yabba dabba do
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »

Now that looks interesting!

And then the questions:   Grin

1) Is there a range limit for wires?
2) Can disconnected but intact wires to be used again after leaving and coming back to a wired position?
2) Are wires visualized in the 3D world?
3) Will this system be used to communicate with off-map or on-map artillery - i.e. will this affect targeting procedure of artillery?
4) Will the system have any other effects besides transfer of command value?
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »

Andrey you misunderstand what I mean..I'm not sure what effect the wire comm has in game..what are the benefits?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »

1) Is there a range limit for wires?
For not mechanized signalman - yes.

2) Can disconnected but intact wires to be used again after leaving and coming back to a wired position?
Yes of course  Grin

2) Are wires visualized in the 3D world?
No, its to thin and flicker too much if you dont see it from very close range or in binocular.

3) Will this system be used to communicate with off-map or on-map artillery - i.e. will this affect targeting procedure of artillery?

See in next series  Grin

Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 05:46:20 PM »

Andrey you misunderstand what I mean..I'm not sure what effect the wire comm has in game..what are the benefits?
I had the same question.  What does this new feature add to gameplay?

Bring back 3D markers!
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 07:17:45 PM »

I had the same question.  What does this new feature add to gameplay?

With flares, different kinds of radios, voices it removes unrealistic command radii and as a consequence the need for company and battalion commanders be in the forefront of the battle.

Another its a big secret  Grin
In what form it is already was implemented two patch ago (but only where there is a radio) and no indication in the experiment purposes  Grin.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:23:26 PM by andrey12345 » Logged

lavish
Oberst

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 08:36:15 PM »

Another its a big secret  Grin
In what form it is already was implemented two patch ago (but only where there is a radio) and no indication in the experiment purposes  Grin.
This is how the developers like to troll players.  Grin

My guess is transfer of information of some spotted enemy units. At least direction of contacts is transferred between two or more units with a radio - in a similiar manner like a player can experience in SABOW. How this exactly work is a mystery. I may also be totally wrong and make myself look just plain stupid. Tongue

See in next series  Grin

They found a new fail proof marketing strategy.   Smiley
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:40:04 PM by lavish » Logged
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 08:54:48 PM »

My guess is transfer of information of some spotted enemy units. At least direction of contacts is transferred between two or more units with a radio - in a similiar manner like a player can experience in SABOW.
How this exactly work is a mystery. I may also be totally wrong and make myself look just plain stupid. Tongue

Yes, such a transfer is a long time present in game. For units of AI since APK43. For a players units has gradually introduced the second patch. In the next patch, it will be totally visualised and everyone can see how and what works and passed directly in the process.
But two patch experience shows that the transfer info about targets is the most trivial and low-value application for communications.

They found a new fail proof marketing strategy.   Smiley
We try dont promote features due to WIP status or "paper features" that dont seen on the players side.

Ie while there were not many common species of communication, and there was only voice and radio communications, and the communication process does not appear, it did not make sense to promote or advertise. I think we have enough of any features.

Now there was a wired connection, flares, infantry phones on tanks and display all of that, and more sensible use than data transmission as the goal for communication, we show what has been done to a satisfactory level.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: