Graviteam
April 29, 2024, 10:40:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What period do you find most interesting in North Africa?
Tunisia Nov 42 - May 43 - 8 (33.3%)
8th Army (GB) V Africia Corp 42 - 3 (12.5%)
Early days 40 -41 Italy V GB - 2 (8.3%)
41 GB Vs Axis - 2 (8.3%)
No Not again! - 9 (37.5%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another random poll (North Africa front ww2)  (Read 20749 times)
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »

POC42?  What is it?  Well who knows!  But from past naming conventions.  K43-APOS......mtc80-sabow.......H39 Nomogahan.  The 3 letters is interesting as all the tactic games use 1.  But who knows?  While P = more of an R in cyrillic and the other letters are close to the same in English.  But that would = RUS 42 which ya DUH.  So who the hell knows what it means.   Tongue

And yes DANE.  I AM testing the waters.  Im in the hmmmmmm lets see phase.  Reread an Army At dawn the past 3 days, it gives a good over view and have a few ideas on the historical side to explore.  I am starting to lean toward doing part of the battle at sidi bou zid.  Have looked over land scape via google earth as well as period and recent photos.  What makes it a likly candidate is that is was both an armored and infantry fight.  With better leadership on US side it is possible that the US could have done ALOT better, but with new scripting commands it is possible to maybe do some neato things. 

Kasserine pass was just insane and a bit TO large for a such an understaking to do right.  2 panzer collumns hitting from 2 sides in GREAT  numbers.....eeeek.  LAter battles are more legit force on force stuff but would rather show why the US kept getting smacked around the 1st 3-4 months. 

But of course if this project happens don't expect to see anything for quite a while.   Tongue

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »

The poll is disheartening but I would wager nomagahan would rate even lower.   Tongue  Part of the problem is the large amount of honestly BAD games that have worn north africa title.  Not historical or wonky terrian choices. 

But I look forward to titles like Nomagahan as it is a vary intersting battle.  And its something NOT touched before.  However, once released and people get over the pet favorite thing not being there............  Well if its good.....I think it will be. 

Yabba dabba do
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2012, 11:27:23 PM »

Theatre of War made an effort in this direction.Too bad the game mechanics for that game were 3rd rate.
The maps looked decent enough but really needed some fine tuning in the graphics department.I really wanted to like the TOW North African games,but couldn't quite bring myself to that point of acceptance.
This engine from APOS applied to that theatre would do more justice to that campaign.

I think the problem most designers have with that theatre is initially they tend to bite off more than they can chew resulting in a half baked half assed product that just doesn't quite make the grade.Way to ambitious in scope but lacking in depth.
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »

Never cared for the African theater myself.

But, bring on the chocolate eaters and tea sippers.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »

Theatre of War made an effort in this direction.Too bad the game mechanics for that game were 3rd rate.
The maps looked decent enough but really needed some fine tuning in the graphics department.I really wanted to like the TOW North African games,but couldn't quite bring myself to that point of acceptance.
This engine from APOS applied to that theatre would do more justice to that campaign.

I think the problem most designers have with that theatre is initially they tend to bite off more than they can chew resulting in a half baked half assed product that just doesn't quite make the grade.Way to ambitious in scope but lacking in depth.

Only played TOW.  Had no desire to play others in the series.  I just remember having to totally nit pick and baby sit all my tanks.  Got OLD really fast.  But you HAD too or everything would get blown up in 3 seconds.  

And your right about scope of operation.  Part of the issue is most books on the subject go on and on about army's and battalions and bla bla bla.  Rarly do they ever go into platoons and company's actions.  and thats what APOS does best IMO.  Company and below actions but also what OTHER company and platoons are doing as well.  So a developer comes along and bites off a huge chunk and by the time they realise its to big to chew comes compromises and silliness.  

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2012, 11:52:53 PM »

Never cared for the African theater myself.

But, bring on the chocolate eaters and tea sippers.

So which is the US ARMY?   Tongue

Yabba dabba do
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2012, 11:58:19 PM »

I took it to mean Americans and Brits.
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2012, 12:03:33 AM »

I took it to mean Americans and Brits.

This
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2012, 12:52:01 AM »

So which is the US ARMY?   Tongue

The pretzel eating whiskey sippers. Oh wait. That's me.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2012, 12:54:51 AM »

Oh I was thinking belgians with the chocolate thing my bad,   Tongue

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2012, 01:32:11 AM »

Oh my, tow2 had a sidi bou zid mission.  From the screens the land scape looks fantasy.  But ok forget that idea.  Push back a bit I guess. 

Yabba dabba do
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: