Graviteam
April 27, 2024, 09:44:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pathfinding- Still needs help  (Read 14435 times)
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 12:22:56 PM »

1) What do you do with the APCs in this area?
2) What do you expect to move around impassable terrain? A miracle? it will not  Grin
3) The game have a very lenient rules for terrain passableness / obstruction. In reality, you would be there all the APCs stay stuck.
4) Briefings clearly written as did German commanders in reality (as it is strange but they were moving along the road only) , it is in my view useful information. I understand that the players at times smarter than the real commanders  Cheesy, but still a better ride on the road as well as in reality.

Tracked vehicles has limited mobility. There is no need to check it from time to time, choose the square with roads and use modifier move by road.

Andrey,

I think your points here are correct, but you may be missing the actual point. Cross-country driving is always risky and maybe even impossible in some places for vehicles, but in the game this does not always turn out as it should. The problem is how vehicles immobilize. Let's compare reality and the game:

IN REALITY vehicles are immobolized because they
- sink or get stuck into mud, soft ground or snow...
- get stuck between obstacles
- lose ground contact of wheels/tracks
- lose function of or damage their wheels/tracks or have other mechanical failure
- etc

All of this may happen because of
1) unforeseen and unpredictable event
2) driver makes a mistake (drives off the path for example)

IN GAME vehicles are immobolized usually (excluding damage by enemy) because of
1) Order given by the player is not appropriate and AI do as ordered even if the order is stupid
2) ''AI driver'' makes a mistake - i.e drives off the path and sinks into river, keeps on driving against obstacle or drives into a trench.

It's difficult to accept some of immobilizations in the game because they can be seen as technical errors in pathfinding, not as unpredictable physical events or as mistakes made by ''human'' driver.

p.s. I think the pathfinding is not bad in the game and actually works pretty well. But something strange do sometimes happens - as said, it's not perfect yet. Wink
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:24:43 PM by lavish » Logged
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 02:18:21 PM »

I think your points here are correct, but you may be missing the actual point. Cross-country driving is always risky and maybe even impossible in some places for vehicles, but in the game this does not always turn out as it should. The problem is how vehicles immobilize. Let's compare reality and the game:

IN REALITY vehicles are immobolized because they
- lose function of or damage their wheels/tracks or have other mechanical failure
- etc

All of this may happen because of
1) unforeseen and unpredictable event
2) driver makes a mistake (drives off the path for example)

IN GAME vehicles are immobolized usually (excluding damage by enemy) because of
1) Order given by the player is not appropriate and AI do as ordered even if the order is stupid
2) ''AI driver'' makes a mistake - i.e drives off the path and sinks into river, keeps on driving against obstacle or drives into a trench.

In the game, and these, too:

Excluding the error on commands, they will come out on top.

Well, the player is the "biggest problem" for any realistic game, as he can command and do strange things without risk and never admits his mistakes, trying to blame the AI, during the human nature  Grin.

It's difficult to accept some of immobilizations in the game because they can be seen as technical errors in pathfinding, not as unpredictable physical events or as mistakes made by ''human'' driver.
I think the AI ​-driver ​that controlling vehicle by handles or drive wheel, that moves by the laws of physics and who lost control in a tight spot in a realistic landscape still looks more "humanly" than as is common in other games - in this cell we get stuck with a 30% chance.
Or am I wrong?

P.S. But I agree it's strange and randomly stuck more understandable  Grin.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:23:30 PM by andrey12345 » Logged

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
benpark
Hauptmann

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »

1) What do you do with the APCs in this area?
2) What do you expect to move around impassable terrain? A miracle? it will not  Grin

Thanks for the replies.

1. I gave the orders as shown from one side of the river to the other. I didn't attempt any micromanagement of the path. Once things stalled at the ford, I also let the AI deal with the issue of crossing.

2. I don't expect the AI to move around impassable terrain- a "ford" is a crossing point that is expected to be shallow enough for crossing. Am I wrong in expecting this in game terms? The orders as I have them rely on the ordered forces to get to the other side- and they attempt to use the ford with varying results of their own choice.

So, should vehicles always rely on "Road" formation to travel any distance of measure in this case, regardless of these fords (which seems to be the real issue I'm having)?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 04:28:11 PM »

1. I gave the orders as shown from one side of the river to the other. I didn't attempt any micromanagement of the path. Once things stalled at the ford, I also let the AI deal with the issue of crossing.
But without by road modifier?

If we got a map, at operational level
http://imgur.com/Z9mbT
we see that this square is partially impassable to move (we see marsh swamp and rivers).

2. I don't expect the AI to move around impassable terrain- a "ford" is a crossing point that is expected to be shallow enough for crossing. Am I wrong in expecting this in game terms? The orders as I have them rely on the ordered forces to get to the other side- and they attempt to use the ford with varying results of their own choice.
If you move there w/o roads is a big risk without respect to the AI actions. Ford is a safer way to cross river but not guarantee

So, should vehicles always rely on "Road" formation to travel any distance of measure in this case, regardless of these fords (which seems to be the real issue I'm having)?
Modifier by the road is not enough  Grin, apparently still needed and the road itself, it lay in the left (east) in the other square Smiley

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 08:45:51 PM »

All right. We reflect on this "problem" for the holidays and in the March 13 patch to be updated an AI in arcade direction, even dull order for attack in line through the marsh and rivers in Krasnaya Polyana is not to result in loss of vehiclesin most cases (AI will correct players errors).

But it need to redownload DLCs and polygon updates from Gamersgate to get maximum effect Cheesy

lavish
Oberst

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 03:48:44 PM »

Quote from: andrey12345
In the game, and these, too:

Excluding the error on commands, they will come out on top.

Well, the player is the "biggest problem" for any realistic game, as he can command and do strange things without risk and never admits his mistakes, trying to blame the AI, during the human nature  Grin.

Yes, those are in the game, but my point was that in reality getting stuck happens unpredictably. For example: a halftrack tries to cross a ford through a safe route. Everything should be safe, but then it happens to hit a few unseen bad stones and gets stuck. In the game the halftrack usually gets stuck because he doesn't cross the ford from the correct path and instead he drives directly to the river.

I think the AI ​-driver ​that controlling vehicle by handles or drive wheel, that moves by the laws of physics and who lost control in a tight spot in a realistic landscape still looks more "humanly" than as is common in other games - in this cell we get stuck with a 30% chance.
Or am I wrong?

P.S. But I agree it's strange and randomly stuck more understandable  Grin.

If losing of vehicle control (like drive wheel rotating strongly because of stones for example) is simulated in the game, then it's acceptable and correct. A pure random change - in my opinion - is not the best way of doing things. However, I do not know any other way to simulate unknown environmental factors that are not known by both AI driver or the player.

I think this discussion is about philosophy of what A.I should know about terrain and what he should do when given a stupid order by the player.

IMO, AI should evaluate it's chances of success and choose the most effective route depending also on the distance. I would divide drivable terrain cells in four categories (most probably you have already something similiar in the game for AI):

- Easily passable terrain (like roads): AI always uses these cells to travel when by road modifier is on and vehicles approximately never get stuck.
- Passable cross-country terrain: vehicles can pass the terrain easily, but there are always some spots of bad terrain or obstacles and that sometimes lead to immobilization. If no roads are available, AI uses these cells to move when by road modifier is on.
- Difficult terrain (like forests and marsh-like areas): terrain that still can be driven but has many spots of bad terrain or obstacles and that relatively often lead to immobilization.
- Impassable terrain  (like rivers, cliffs, wet swamps, very dense forests): Impassible or high risk terrain, where you as a human would never drive unless totally drunk. AI driver never enter these areas, even if ordered by the player.

The most important thing might be that if some obstacles are clearly visible to player, AI should not drive over them. But it should be also possible for vehicles to get stuck on unseen and unpredictable obstacles (maybe generated randomly or simply simulated by random change?) like a hole covered with vegetation or soft snow (not known or seen by AI nor the player).

All right. We reflect on this "problem" for the holidays and in the March 13 patch to be updated an AI in arcade direction, even dull order for attack in line through the marsh and rivers in Krasnaya Polyana is not to result in loss of vehiclesin most cases (AI will correct players errors).

But it need to redownload DLCs and polygon updates from Gamersgate to get maximum effect Cheesy

Thank you, I guess. I hope that immobilizations due to bad terrain can still happen and that roads will have their importance (IMO they aren't as important at the moment as they should be).

p.s. Could you also add a button that turns the vehicle back on it's wheels when pressed like on some car games?   Grin Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:52:11 PM by lavish » Logged
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »

Yes, those are in the game, but my point was that in reality getting stuck happens unpredictably. For example: a halftrack tries to cross a ford through a safe route. Everything should be safe, but then it happens to hit a few unseen bad stones and gets stuck. In the game the halftrack usually gets stuck because he doesn't cross the ford from the correct path and instead he drives directly to the river.

Not agree

from 2:45
"a halftrack tries to cross a ford through a safe route. Everything should be safe, but then it happens to hit a few unseen bad stones and gets stuck." - yes? Wink

All passed, and one at the same place is jammed.

If losing of vehicle control (like drive wheel rotating strongly because of stones for example) is simulated in the game, then it's acceptable and correct.
This is the "only thing" in the game that is modeled, there is not any randomized.

A pure random change - in my opinion - is not the best way of doing things. However, I do not know any other way to simulate unknown environmental factors that are not known by both AI driver or the player.
Now know that there is another way  Grin

I think this discussion is about philosophy of what A.I should know about terrain and what he should do when given a stupid order by the player.
Yes, there will agree, this is more of a philosophical question without an answer.

IMO, AI should evaluate it's chances of success and choose the most effective route depending also on the distance. I would divide drivable terrain cells in four categories (most probably you have already something similiar in the game for AI):

- Easily passable terrain (like roads): AI always uses these cells to travel when by road modifier is on and vehicles approximately never get stuck.
- Passable cross-country terrain: vehicles can pass the terrain easily, but there are always some spots of bad terrain or obstacles and that sometimes lead to immobilization. If no roads are available, AI uses these cells to move when by road modifier is on.
- Difficult terrain (like forests and marsh-like areas): terrain that still can be driven but has many spots of bad terrain or obstacles and that relatively often lead to immobilization.
- Impassable terrain  (like rivers, cliffs, wet swamps, very dense forests): Impassible or high risk terrain, where you as a human would never drive unless totally drunk. AI driver never enter these areas, even if ordered by the player.
This is a bad graduation.
Take for example the tank that can swim (for example T-37), how to get him to swim if the river is a bad area?  Grin
Another example - The soldiers refused to go through the forest because it is a bad area.

It does not work. Therefore, in the game we do not have good or bad areas, with few exceptions.

The most important thing might be that if some obstacles are clearly visible to player, AI should not drive over them. But it should be also possible for vehicles to get stuck on unseen and unpredictable obstacles (maybe generated randomly or simply simulated by random change?) like a hole covered with vegetation or soft snow (not known or seen by AI nor the player).
No, random is a bad and strange way. If I accidentally get stuck vehicle in the wargame, I immediately start the game from the beginning or load a savegame  Roll Eyes. IMO Randomly in this case is annoying.

p.s. Could you also add a button that turns the vehicle back on it's wheels when pressed like on some car games?   Grin Cheesy
In DLC for 150$  Grin

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: