Graviteam
April 29, 2024, 05:40:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooper - advice please  (Read 8087 times)
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« on: June 05, 2013, 11:25:51 PM »

So I finally bought Hooper. I'm several turns into the first campaign and I'm not faring too well. The difference in warfare when compared to World War 2 is significant. Fire exchange takes place on greater distances and any attempt of my advance usually ends up with me weeping over burning APCs (not literally of course). Smiley So, most of the time I try to keep my units stationary in the trenches and weapon/vehicle pits repelling consecutive attacks (I even managed to completely destroy enemy tank platoon this way while barely taking casualties). But on the last mission the tides have turned. The enemy decided to attack with infantry in a foggy morning and I ended up with several APCs and T-55 tanks seriously damaged even though I kept bombarding enemy troops with mortars support like crazy. But that wouldn't be a problem if infantry that accompanies APCs would still be alive. Unfortunately, they were all almost wiped out. Trenches couldn't save them. So, I think I'm playing the campaign completely wrong. I think that's because I have no idea how to fight with modern equipment. What's worse is that now I'm informed that some super-duper heavy mechanised UNITA forces have arrived and are moving towards my (other) positions.
Can you guys give me some advice on modern tactics that works with this operation? Maybe some tips on the equipment or what NOT to do? Smiley
Santini
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 04:10:30 AM »

I wish that there were some way to split the infantry from their vehicles, but as there isn't, I just sorta have to work around it.

In general, I try to have an upfront screen of low visibility units - AT, straight leg infantry, observers, etc

Behind that with good visibility and as many angles as possible, I put my tanks.

Then I try to find crevasses and valleys to hide my mech infantry in.

In general, the tanks do the slugging, the screen does the spotting and close in AT or anti infantry work, and then the mech units are held in reserve, either to reinforce desperately tenuous positions, or for the counter attack when most of the hard threats are gone
RedC
Hauptmann

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:02:29 AM »

I wish that there were some way to split the infantry from their vehicles, but as there isn't, I just sorta have to work around it.

I asked andrey the same question, and reminded me of the change ("new option" with filters) they did long time ago! Let me share it:
I asked him how can I detach infantry from IFV, he answered:

Yes, use of filters (small button on the selection panel), or right-click on any platoon icon on the selection panel (lower-center of screen). You can choose by type of which units are stay selected.
And use groups - Ctrl+number key to save selection, and number key to select.
RedC
Hauptmann

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »

And that campaign is easy for me, trick is, during 1st turn, to rush all the zones with mechanized and tanks! Now those battles that you have, will be very hard, but if you manage to gain upper hand (or just take main teritorry), or win! It will be easy! And plus if you take control points, and hold them a bit, it will give you leverage if you get pushed out later.

Cubans are you friends, together with 2 free units of Malyutkas! They bashed SDAF's detachment together with units of Ts.  Wink While 2 encircled Ts with 76mm artillery and Cuban BMP-scout group, bashed UNITA. Additionally I withdrew my encircled troops in to the zone of supply. Also, don't be afraid to use your off-map artillery, usually, spread those artillery zones around (2 in attack, 1 in defense) so you can react fast. And as Santini said, use your "tired and demoralized" encircled troops to act as a buffer and spotters.

This is end of my turn 1, before I order them to attack!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:15:42 AM by RedC » Logged
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:51:44 AM »

The difficulty is also higly dependent on how you choose your battles (area of battle). You can select the battle area so that you will have more units than the enemy or so that you exclude the most dangerous enemy platoons out of battle - and engage them later when their support is eliminated. I think it's unrealistic and like cheating, but makes it much more easy to win. Later on you can restart the operation and increase the difficulty by selecting the battles randomly or by selecting the biggest battles (most platoons) first.
RedC
Hauptmann

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:11:32 AM »

I always select biggest battles, not because I'm so good, but because I'm tired of playing million small battles, especially in the night with miniature amount of units (there should be option to allow AI to play it out! like with allies, and PS I adore night battles), when I can have one big decisive!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:14:16 AM by RedC » Logged
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »

Thanks. I just tried those BMPs out in a small Quick Battle vs Olifants with some APCs and I was amazed with their performance. They're loaded with HEAT rounds and Malyutkas which makes them damn good anti-armour assets.
I will restart the campaign and try to be more aggressive. Especially with Cuban units.

Do you perhaps have any tips on how to preserve infantry? They seem to die very quickly even when entrenched. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing Theatre of War when it comes down to infantry survivability in this DLC.
For example, I can quickly clear enemy entrenchments from troops simply by ordering my T-55A tank platoon to area fire at their positions. If my vehicles have the LOF and are slightly above them, they will shred those poor sods to pieces with their coaxial MGs from 1-1.5km (or maybe even greater) within a minute or two of continuous fire. No need to enfilade them.
The enemy also doesn't have problems with picking out my entrenched men one by one as well.
It's probably because the infantry seems to love sticking their heads out of trenches all the time.
RedC
Hauptmann

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »

Yes, I find infantry a bit buggy, at least its very visible in this dlc. I had my crew eject itself from T-55A, jump in the near hole, only so they could bug out, running in and out of hole until they god gunned down.

First, moral and fatigue needs to be on good levels, if not you are in deep trouble. Second, flat fields are big no-no, even with entrenchment. If they are getting sniped, tell them to hold fire (major preservation tool). Use ravines to make them immune from direct fire from some sectors. Bushes and trees buy you more time, but if under fire they will get destroyed sooner or later. Best is to give them fire zone (not too far). Most important is that infantry is deadly in close-combat, and without AT support don't even think about using them for anything except ambush or rare flanking attacks via shallow drained river valley.

Infantry has a nice way of telling its position too soon for inefficient attempt of sniping something! I found that "hidden" attack (run and crawl) works best for me.
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 04:00:13 PM »

Good points. I'll keep them in mind.
The land offers little to no cover where the 25. Inf. Bde is located, except of a relatively dense vegetation surrounding Sabiuanga, but I'll try to do my best to properly conceal those men. It's a very hard terrain for infantry that's for sure. I was so accustomed to fairly uneven land of Kharkov region that I introduced a completely wrong tactics for flats. Shocked

I wonder if morale or exhaustion has any impact on squad's "hold fire" order compliance?

Another question. Roll Eyes
Do you prefer mobile combat or rather let your units remain stationary? What use do you find for BRDMs and BTRs? Being so fragile they seem like death traps for infantry to me, so I'm not too keen on moving them around the map even for reconnaissance purposes.

P. S.
What's with the 3/2 of 50. Cuban TDs immobility near 05-02 (x-y)? I can see on your map that you have this unit immobile to (platoon leader Pedrosa). Are they bogged down in the river or something? It's the only active platoon I cannot move on the operational map at all from reasons unknown.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:07:56 PM by Lemonade » Logged
RedC
Hauptmann

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 07:53:56 PM »

Good points. I'll keep them in mind.
The land offers little to no cover where the 25. Inf. Bde is located, except of a relatively dense vegetation surrounding Sabiuanga, but I'll try to do my best to properly conceal those men. It's a very hard terrain for infantry that's for sure. I was so accustomed to fairly uneven land of Kharkov region that I introduced a completely wrong tactics for flats. Shocked
Yes I too was shaken by rapid change of the pace! But you still have to play many times to understand it fully, It will come to you.

I wonder if morale or exhaustion has any impact on squad's "hold fire" order compliance?
Hopefully, they will be glad that they are spared of becoming a Christmas tree! Smiley

Do you prefer mobile combat or rather let your units remain stationary? What use do you find for BRDMs and BTRs? Being so fragile they seem like death traps for infantry to me, so I'm not too keen on moving them around the map even for reconnaissance purposes.
When I started playing them, I preferred static strategy, but as time progressed, I found the way to use the mobility of the IFVs together with infantry or separated battle group. Basically they should follow ravines and angled terrain as a cover. Never use them directly especially if enemy poses AT guns or AA guns (IT(1) wiped out my whole group of IFVs and I didn't even see IT!). They are great as support, when all enemy efforts are somewhere else! Also BTR is a nice scout and especially durable/maneuverable against AT fire (for some time anyway)!

P. S.
What's with the 3/2 of 50. Cuban TDs immobility near 05-02 (x-y)? I can see on your map that you have this unit immobile to (platoon leader Pedrosa). Are they bogged down in the river or something? It's the only active platoon I cannot move on the operational map at all from reasons unknown.
Aren't they blocked only 1st turn?
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »

Hopefully, they will be glad that they are spared of becoming a Christmas tree! Smiley
Smiley
When I started playing them, I preferred static strategy, but as time progressed, I found the way to use the mobility of the IFVs together with infantry or separated battle group. Basically they should follow ravines and angled terrain as a cover. Never use them directly especially if enemy poses AT guns or AA guns (IT(1) wiped out my whole group of IFVs and I didn't even see IT!). They are great as support, when all enemy efforts are somewhere else! Also BTR is a nice scout and especially durable/maneuverable against AT fire (for some time anyway)!
That's how I'm playing them now - I keep them static. But I can feel that I'm playing it wrong, because they have wheels on purpose, right? Is the "move stealthily" order modifier enough to make them follow depressions and ravines or do I have to assign them way-points? I always used to babysit my units in WW2 DLCs, but here there's so much going on that I'd prefer to issue one order and focus on other combat areas without the drivers doing something stupid.
Aren't they blocked only 1st turn?
I don't think so. I reached turn 5 or so and I still couldn't move this platoon.
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 01:08:01 AM »

Okay, I tried playing turn one the aggressive way and was trampled in quadrant 8,6 by SADF attack. Non-entrenched troops (even with Malyutka and some T55A support plus infantry) can do shit against several platoons of mixed forces consisting of Olifants and those blasted Ratels. Sad
I hate modern combat. I suck at it and it's very frustrating for me. I think GTOS maps are way too small for them, when you take modern weapons' lethal ranges into consideration. My troops and vehicles get picked off one by one at ridiculous ranges and there's absolutely no place to hide.
I'm gonna' stick to WW2 DLCs only. WW2 combat has this "thing" that modern one does not.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 01:22:28 AM »

Cheesy
Welcome to the Modern battlefield.
Death lurks everywhere and from anywhere.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 01:28:26 AM »

Very good ARR posted on Grogheads for the Shield of the Prophet campaign.
Silent Disapproval Robot did an excellent job presenting it.
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=6015.0
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 05:16:59 AM »

Okay, I tried playing turn one the aggressive way and was trampled in quadrant 8,6 by SADF attack. Non-entrenched troops (even with Malyutka and some T55A support plus infantry) can do shit against several platoons of mixed forces consisting of Olifants and those blasted Ratels. Sad
I hate modern combat. I suck at it and it's very frustrating for me. I think GTOS maps are way too small for them, when you take modern weapons' lethal ranges into consideration. My troops and vehicles get picked off one by one at ridiculous ranges and there's absolutely no place to hide.
I'm gonna' stick to WW2 DLCs only. WW2 combat has this "thing" that modern one does not.

Yes 1km battle squares for 3km X 3km really is a bit small when dealing with weapons that have ranges farther than the map.  I keep nudging Andrey about doubling this.  It means less to really fight over, but ALOT more tactical options.  Also things like move to contact become more important.  Would love to see an old polygon redone with 2x the cell sizes.  Just to see.  Cheesy  Probably needed computer power would increase.  but i do not think all that much.  Gravi stuff is pretty darn well optimized.

Yabba dabba do
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »

Yes 1km battle squares for 3km X 3km really is a bit small when dealing with weapons that have ranges farther than the map.  I keep nudging Andrey about doubling this.  It means less to really fight over, but ALOT more tactical options

Either that or maps that have limited line of sight and fire to them,such as built up(urban) areas or forested/jungle regions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: