Graviteam
April 30, 2024, 12:54:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with patching  (Read 43420 times)
Rod
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2013, 03:06:35 AM »

You can run games from x86 ( I have) but you can have issues with modifications, patches-black screens, weird graphics glitches, freezes... this has come up frequently in forums for Silent Hunter 4, Combat Mission 2, Scourge of War, DCSBlackshark 2/A/10 and World (World is free by the way). Same caveat-don't install a game in Program File x86.

All computers are not created equal to-different hardware, motherboards. All the aforementioned games I own and have modified (SH4 moved objects, modded weapons info, added SH3 ships to SH4, CM2 I added the smaller telephone poles from Shock Forces to Fortress Italy, DCS various small graphics mods). I don't know why x86 messes with games and mods but I read enough about it not to locate a game there. Simple solution for a game in Program File x86 is to copy and paste the game in C or C\Program Files then delete what was in x86. No need to reinstall. I did that with Silent Hunter 4.
I suspect with my problem it could be a lack of a file or a corrupted file. Direct X file-I don't know. Everything looks there. :^(

FWIW beside installing the game in the traditional manner on my machine -I did copy the Achtung Panzer:OPERATION STAR Game file onto a flash drive and pasted it into  C; drive on the Win7 32 bit machine. It wouldn't run. Just an hourglass and then nothing-no black screen. Traditional install and copy and paste from flash drive got me the same little hourglass for about 30seconds. Game just wouldn't boot up.

It really was was no struggle to get it to run right on the Win7 64 bit. It really was as simple and trouble free if using the common way of patching or in the old way when I had the Graviteam games on my XP machine. Only problems I had there were with my graphic mods I made for myself (see my forum strings)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:20:24 AM by Rod » Logged
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2013, 11:03:05 AM »

It is stupid Windows issue.  Installing under just plane ole C works.  Other games have started to place there too by defualt as well.  Was forced to install WOT the other day....and it defaults to C drive.  Other games do odd 3/4install to programs and the rest into places like my documents.  You can usually play the game as you said under programs or X86 programs but patching.............. ya issues.  This seems to be a windows 7 feature of STUPID. 

Yabba dabba do
budd
Major

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »

How did we get to 2167, I just updated to 2138? Man this is hard to keep track of.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »

It is stupid Windows issue.  Installing under just plane ole C works.  Other games have started to place there too by defualt as well.  Was forced to install WOT the other day....and it defaults to C drive.  Other games do odd 3/4install to programs and the rest into places like my documents.  You can usually play the game as you said under programs or X86 programs but patching.............. ya issues.  This seems to be a windows 7 feature of STUPID. 
Not really Flash.  UAC (User Access Control) is a protective feature that works quite well.  If you're not sure of the security status of a program it can be installed in (x86 programs).  That way a malicious program has to ask permission from you before it can run.  No more stealth trojans etc.  UAC can be turned off but it's not recommended.  If you're sure of the safety of the file or program it can be installed anywhere on the pc.  As UAC can cause problems with patching, games can be installed outside of (x86 programs).  I will say the only program I've had trouble with in that regard was Steel Fury Kharkov 1942.

Bring back 3D markers!
Rod
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2013, 10:26:08 PM »

How did we get to 2167, I just updated to 2138? Man this is hard to keep track of.

My apologies what I used is below. Really-even I got confused after a while-so many downloads to test.

gtos_patch_march13_eng.gt2extension

I downloaded that from Gravieteam site.

http://www.graviteam.ua/help/download-patches.html
budd
Major

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2013, 11:18:34 PM »

the last one I downloaded[last week] was gtos_patch_march13b3_eng.gt2extension  that got me to 2138, didn't read anything about a new update to get to 2167.
Thomasew
Major

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »

the last one I downloaded[last week] was gtos_patch_march13b3_eng.gt2extension  that got me to 2138, didn't read anything about a new update to get to 2167.

Hi

The version numbers i.e. 2138 vs 2167 are updated via the Core Update .. i.e. http://www.graviteam.com/AP-STAR/gtos_cu_581_eng.exe

I had version 2138, .. and I have just re-downloaded the file mentioned above (see link). Ran it .. and now I'm also on 2167.  Smiley

So, it must have been updated at some point, .. although there is no indication that it has been.  Huh?

I have no idea what's changed in version 2167, .. versus 2138, .. aside from the fact that bigger is better ..  Grin

Cheers
Tom

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »

Another 5 minutes to stay a bit OT  Smiley

It is my understanding that "progs x86" is only on a 64 bit OS.  It is there to differentiate between native 64 bit progs & stuff which needs to run in a WOW64 environment. (ie emulated 32 bit).  Don't have an x86 Vista / 7 OS to check this but if you install a 64 bit prog on x64 it goes by default to the plain progs folder; a x32 app defaualts to progs x86.

I feel UAC is of questionable value & certainly won't stop advanced stealth installs in a lot of (most) cases.  (Hence in part, the need for all the elevated privilege patches that have been coming out from MS).   It's irritation value is far higher than it's efficacy IMO.
For any real anti-stealth you need a sand-box type prog (See Comodo CIS for a free one with active monitoring in it's defence+ suite). 

I do not allow any games to go to a default set install, they all go to their own partition, remote from C.  Unfortunately as pointed out above, many devs like to throw in 'random' locations some of which are hidden by default by the OS eg in ..users\appdata...
Steam makes me crazy by dumping things into a subdir about 5 steps down the tree.  Really helpful when it comes to using their useless backup/restore routine as well. 

All this makes things really awkward if you are trying to keep track of things & trying to back up settings & saves etc.
http://www.gamesave-manager.com/
can help in the latter case.

And back on topic
PLEASE append version numbers to your patch files GT!!  I need to see x.xx (xxxx) not just x.xx.  It would help you by reducing traffic on your servers from unneeded downloads.
gtos_cu_581_eng.exe just isn't enough.....   Cry
budd
Major

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »

Hi

The version numbers i.e. 2138 vs 2167 are updated via the Core Update .. i.e. http://www.graviteam.com/AP-STAR/gtos_cu_581_eng.exe

I had version 2138, .. and I have just re-downloaded the file mentioned above (see link). Ran it .. and now I'm also on 2167.  Smiley

So, it must have been updated at some point, .. although there is no indication that it has been.  Huh?

I have no idea what's changed in version 2167, .. versus 2138, .. aside from the fact that bigger is better ..  Grin

Cheers
Tom

Thx for the info. At least the core won't take 2 + hours to download.
russkly
Oberleutnant

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »

Wow!  This subject gets a lot of mileage!

So, after following the advice in this thread, and uninstalling and re-installing a couple of times, I have the following:

Version 5.81 (2167) Update: mar. 13

In Game Updater:

01  DLC High resolution textures #1  1.01
02  Addon Operation Hooper  1.01
03  Game update  4.02

I haven't bothered re-installing the 3 Eastern Front DLCs (Taranovka, Sokolovko, KP), because I've played them all through several times, and I'm not sure the hi-res stuff is going to make them all shiny and re-playable!.

Am I up-to-date? 
Do I need things like the polygon update?
What about apos_upd_tar_rak_mar13_eng.gt2extension or k43t_apos_patch_march13_eng.gt2extension?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions.

R
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »

Am I up-to-date? 

It looks like your up to date to me.

The polygon update is optional and I think it only applies to the Taranovka,Sokolovo and Rakitnoe maps.

I personally enjoy the polygon update it's a major improvement to these maps from before.A
new weather look and everything doesn't look quite so dirty are some aspects of note.

You probably won't need it though if you have no more desire to play on these maps,but it's free and good to have and you can always disable or uninstall it in your updater if it doesn't meet your expectations.

I play a lot of quick battles and Taranovka is my favorite map and I love the new look especially when I use the Ultra high grass setting.
russkly
Oberleutnant

« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »

Am I up-to-date? 

It looks like your up to date to me.

The polygon update is optional and I think it only applies to the Taranovka,Sokolovo and Rakitnoe maps.

I personally enjoy the polygon update it's a major improvement to these maps from before.A
new weather look and everything doesn't look quite so dirty are some aspects of note.

You probably won't need it though if you have no more desire to play on these maps,but it's free and good to have and you can always disable or uninstall it in your updater if it doesn't meet your expectations.

I play a lot of quick battles and Taranovka is my favorite map and I love the new look especially when I use the Ultra high grass setting.

Thx Dane.

Might give it a try, although I have to admit I'm usually at higher elevations, so I'm not sure I'd notice the better texture rendering!

Same issue with CM - all those uniform mods.  Never even see the uniform detail from the height I play at!

R
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »

Might give it a try, although I have to admit I'm usually at higher elevations, so I'm not sure I'd notice the better texture rendering!

It's not just textures but lighting and ambience also.
I really appreciate that Graviteam did this and did it for free.
It's that kind of attention to detail that sucked me in as a loyal customer.
Taranovka has always been my favorite map so this added extra bonus has made this one a classic.
I hope the new GTMF maps are as well crafted and attended to as Taranovka.That would really be nice. Cheesy

I'm a sucker for a well detailed and thought out map,bad maps have a tendency to break a game for me.
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »

I re bought all the DLC as I had it from Strat first and couldn't get patches for the DLC..so i bought them all again..so now I can use the polygon update..does make a difference, you can live without it but if you have the Gamersgate version I say download it and get it installed.

I had no qualms buying the DLC again as the amount I've spent overall is still well worth it.
orson
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »

Pain in my harris this has turned out to be  Undecided

Recently went from playing with no problems to the game refusing to work , so i did a re-install and now when i try to activate it i get the message that all my activations have been used ... so that means i only had one because its only been installed on this machine .

I bought the game from Stormpowered / Strategy first - and to be frank i wont be bothering with download versions anymore ..i dont even feel like i actually own the game

In contact with support at SP , but i know its going to take days to sort out .

orson
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2013, 03:16:30 PM »

Pain in my harris this has turned out to be  Undecided

Recently went from playing with no problems to the game refusing to work , so i did a re-install and now when i try to activate it i get the message that all my activations have been used ... so that means i only had one because its only been installed on this machine .

I bought the game from Stormpowered / Strategy first - and to be frank i wont be bothering with download versions anymore ..i dont even feel like i actually own the game

In contact with support at SP , but i know its going to take days to sort out .

This was sorted within 2 days by Strategy First / StormPowered ..... plus I ordered a hard copy from ebay which turned up today ... £5.99

sorted Smiley

BigDuke66
Major

« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2013, 02:49:41 AM »

GG seems outdated, I re-download now all again and the Core Update was just 2138, here was already a 2167 mentioned and I now downloaded from the sticky thread the version 2170:
http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=11099.0

Also despite being named gtos_patch_march13c4_eng.gt2extension at GG I only get C2 after installation, now trying the C4 on the topic I posted, Hope that brings me to C4.

I wonder how far behind GG is with the DLCs but well as there is now download for them here we only can do it over GG.

PS
Is there a link for the English version of the "Update of districts Taranovka and Rakitnoe"?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:57:59 AM by BigDuke66 » Logged

"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
THE BLITZ WARGAMING CLUB
Mission: To help the rookies, connect the regulars and honor the hardcore!
JOIN AT http://www.theblitz.org
BigDuke66
Major

« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2013, 03:55:07 AM »

Well that C4 version still shows me C2 should it be that way???

"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
THE BLITZ WARGAMING CLUB
Mission: To help the rookies, connect the regulars and honor the hardcore!
JOIN AT http://www.theblitz.org
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2013, 07:32:16 AM »

C2 is 'correct', for whatever reason the C4 file name isn't reflected on the start screen.

The eng version of Taranovka etc is here
http://www.graviteam.ua/help/download-patches.html

I tend to use that page as it's always a lot more up to date than GG

Noticed your comment on Hi res DLC, I have gtos_hir_tex_01_mar13.gt2extension installed, I suspect the k43 is the initial version, there was an update with added vehicles.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:37:20 AM by chashka17 » Logged
JamesX
Hauptmann

« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »

Just need to check - what is the optimum order of patches & addons in the updater?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: