Graviteam
April 30, 2024, 01:24:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PATHING OPTIONS  (Read 2519 times)
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: August 24, 2013, 09:12:56 PM »

Pathing Options-

Is there anyway to make the pathing for units under your control optional in the Options Menu?

I'm not too pleased with some of the routes my units are taking during combat.

For example:
I had a squad defending a street corner in Taranovka and the enemy was moving up a platoon into the houses across the street.
I gave my squad a movement order(Defend) to basically have them retreat away from the enemy towards my main line of defense to a patch of trees  that was across an open field that was behind the houses,which in effect should have gave them a chance to move away from the enemy platoon using the houses that they were abandoning as a shield against any line of fire and line of sight directed towards them as they made good their escape to that patch of trees.

Instead,my squad ran out into the street in front of/towards the enemy before trying to make its way to its new position and they were all killed in the middle of "that" street and not one of them ever made it into the open field behind the houses!So instead of saving some of the men from that squad with the retreat order,I ended up watching them all get mown down and killed in the street and probably should have left them alone to defend and die in place and take some of the attackers with them.

If this was an isolated incident I would have overlooked it(Stupid mistake,fortunes of war etc...),but it happens too often!
Sometimes I would just prefer my units to take a direct route instead of what the pathing program considers a concealed route to its new position.

I don't mind the AI using the covered approach with its pathing since most are invisable and I don't know where they are and where they are going most of the time anyways.But,I would like the units under my command to take a more direct approach to their new positions.The concealed route is sometimes the worst and under certain circumstances obviuosly the most dangerous option for some of my units.

I get the impression the pathing for these maps was programmed using the Operations map as a guide and not the tactical map,which leads to some very awkward and disturbing firefights.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:27:42 PM »

No it does all that in a special pass when rendering the polygon.  And NO braking contact is not so good in game.  Best bet for fewest issues here is use simple move order with no formation.   Problem of course is that they cease to fire and maneuver.  If you have 2 squads around can work out ok.  1 runs, 1 shoots.  Also making a chain of way points.  Actually a legit brake contact sort of command would be handy.  But more clutter.   Undecided

But before that.........BETTER recon guys!  Cry Tongue Grin Wink

Yabba dabba do
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: