Graviteam
April 27, 2024, 02:19:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which DLC?  (Read 6627 times)
Saint19
Major

« on: September 06, 2013, 05:44:42 PM »

Hi,

I'm really enjoying GTOS and am considering the DLC as a change of pace.  Which ones would you suggest?  Thus far Hooper looks interesting as does Shield of the Prophet.  But the cheapest is Zhalanashkol 1969. 

I know that these are more modern era.  But I am interested in learning more about ground combat from many perspectives as I'm new to it all.  Thanx for your help.
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:53:44 PM »

The more expensive packs have more content.  More Ops etc.  GG gives some details on the specifics.
They make an interesting change from WW2.  Difficult to say whether I like one over the other, as the different terrain etc makes each uniquely interesting.

Also had fun using Cold War Russian units against WW2 Germans in QBs.  Smiley
Rod
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »

The best modern DLC is HOOPER for me-hands down. Great maps and the armored SAF units are very unique.

Zhalanashkol 1969 is nice-but the Chinese have no armor and it is a featureless grass plain and small mountains. It can be tough. But it is a very small DLC. Hooper is tough and the terrain is unique-African Savannah and there are plenty of places for ambushes.

HOT TIP for night fighting. Know the vehicle sounds in the encyclopedia. You'll know what to fight and what to avoid/ambush.
I fought the SAF using Cuban units to a draw.
Saint19
Major

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »

How does Hooper stand up to Shield of the Prophet...or vice versa?
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 03:12:56 PM »

I liked Hooper because of the tropical terrain in an Angolan setting and the infantry can hold their own against tanks in this DLC plus the Cubans are tough so the SADF has a real problem in attaining their goals.

Shield of the Prophet was good though too,but for different reasons.You basically get 1980s type NATO and Warsaw Pact equipment for your game,my only complaint about SotP was the map was too flat and open(desert) and the infantry get slaughtered.SotP is a real bloodbath for both the Russians and Iranian led forces.

These game go on sale almost monthly at Gamersgate and you just missed a 50% off sale about 2 weeks ago.
I liked all the DLCs for different reasons and you can't beat the price for these DLCs even if you pay full.
The only 2 DLCs I didn't get were the Zhalanashkol and Hi-res ones because they didn't interest me.
I think you may like Hooper though if you are just looking for nice change  to the modern.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:41:51 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Rod
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 03:49:53 PM »

+1 what Dane49. Use Gamersgate to buy-you get enough Blue Coins you can pickup the HiRes Pac when it goes on sale. Which I did.  Grin

I thought I read Graviteam was going to make more maps for Hooper. I DEFINITELY would buy that.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 03:52:17 PM by Rod » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »

Andrey mentioned once that Graviteam may do some pre Hooper Operations for Angola at a later date since Hooper sold well.But I think they are trying to finish up their other non modern projects 1st before they consider doing more modern.
Saint19
Major

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »

Thanx for the advice gents.

Too bad I missed the sales.  But I'm kinda in the mood to buy something different.
Xambrium
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »

In "Shield of the Prophet" you have the  biggest tank battles ever seen in OpStar. I wish we could get an WW2 Kursk DLC like this... the Chinese dlc i pass, sounds boring for me and andrey sayed we should only buy dlc we like so they know what the fans wants really  Wink High resolution dlc is soo cheap i got it with "blue coins" on gamersgate..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:07:51 PM by Xambrium » Logged
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »

I 'prefer' WW2 but the modern stuff shows the leaps in technology & altered survivability since then.
Zhalanashkol has been one of the most "testing" operations for me personally.

Finding very limited resources & appropriately open terrain (Clear fields of fire for the defence of either side) pushed me in new directions strategically & tactically. 
A small campaign but an intense change in possibilities made this a good choice for a modest investment.  Clawing my way up from crushing annihilation to minor victory was educational & fun.    Smiley
Saint19
Major

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 04:22:36 AM »

Funny how after I made my last post real life took over.  I looked again and the prices went up.  Guess I'll wait for the next sale.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 04:29:21 AM »

There's usually one every 2-3 months on gamersgate.
Saint19
Major

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 04:19:12 AM »

Cool.  I've got my hands full between GTOS and CMSF anyway.  I'm very happy to support two great games and companies if I can.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: