Graviteam
April 29, 2024, 03:58:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to try and polish the particles effects, should I wait untill after Mius?  (Read 9547 times)
Flanker15
Generalmajor

« on: September 23, 2013, 05:43:45 AM »

I wanted to try and touch up the FX in OpStar but wanted to check to see if I should wait for Mius because there might already be upgrades in it!  (I'm assuming that Mius will be the new OpStar which new DLC will be built for).
Things I wanted to look at were:
Making the fire and explosions more opaque and orange, the fire in the game looks very "thin" like a propane fire not a diesel/petrol fire and explosions are utterly opaque in reality from dust and smoke.
Fix the low-res fire sprite that has pixelated alpha layer at it's edges.
Fire on the ground near burning vehicles in addition to the burning fuel leak that's already there.
Smoke emitting from pieces that are blown off exploding vehicles.
Tracers shooting out of cooking off vehicles.
Wind having a greater effect on smoke.

Things that I'd like but probably can't have:
More realistic hit sparks that have dynamic light trails.
Exit holes for vehicle hits.
Whole new explosion and fire sprites.
Void
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:19:22 AM »

Some improvements in the fire and explosions FX would be nice.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:04:17 AM by Voidhunger » Logged
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 06:41:41 AM »

Mius COULD be awhile...  Just saying. 

Yabba dabba do
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »

Making the fire and explosions more opaque and orange, the fire in the game looks very "thin" like a propane fire not a diesel/petrol fire and explosions are utterly opaque in reality from dust and smoke.
No

Fix the low-res fire sprite that has pixelated alpha layer at it's edges.
May be alpha is cheked, resolution is enough

Fire on the ground near burning vehicles in addition to the burning fuel leak that's already there.
Its already present in current GTOS

Smoke emitting from pieces that are blown off exploding vehicles.
At most cases not realistic and have arcade look. No

Tracers shooting out of cooking off vehicles.
May be. But its hard to modelling correctly (not fly through armor)

Wind having a greater effect on smoke.
Now it is physically calculated exactly how to wind affects, but an effect of tightening. Will not change.

More realistic hit sparks that have dynamic light trails.
It is in the dark time now. Will not change.

Exit holes for vehicle hits.
may be

Whole new explosion and fire sprites.
Those that are now sufficient, will not change.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:57:42 AM »

Just to clarify these are things that I'm thinking about looking at fixing myself for a mod and I want to be sure whether I should wait until Mius to start since if I make all the stuff then Mius comes out with a new particle system that isn't compatible with my mod it would be sad but if Mius just uses all the same stuff it would be fine to start work.

This is the pixelated alpha I was talking about on the left edge:

Also this is what I meant by dynamic light trails for sparks

Instead of orange blobs they're orange points that have trails depending on their speed and orientation to the camera.

Also Flashburn which file has the effects assets in it?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:50:39 AM by Flanker15 » Logged
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:36:04 AM »

Just to clarify these are things that I'm thinking about looking at fixing myself for a mod and I want to be sure whether I should wait until Mius to start since if I make all the stuff then Mius comes out with a new particle system that isn't compatible with my mod it would be sad but if Mius just uses all the same stuff it would be fine to start work.
yet will use the same for flames, but somthing different in other particles.

This is the pixelated alpha I was talking about on the left edge:

Yes, these things will smooth ever.

Also this is what I meant by dynamic light trails for sparks

Instead of orange blobs they're orange points that have trails depending on their speed and orientation to the camera.

So can reach the fact that the stars have to do like in this picture Smiley

This is not quite the right effect for eye. It depends on the camera's shutter.
The human eye does not see as in your photo, and this task is the complex and controversial.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »

This is not quite the right effect for eye. It depends on the camera's shutter.
The human eye does not see as in your photo, and this task is the complex and controversial.

Yeah I've been through my fare share of flgihtsim laser tracer discussions  Smiley

But I have worked with a grinder and hammered metal a lot and it does look like the picture to my eyes, the sparks move fast and bright enough that you see trails not points.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:44:43 AM »

Yeah I've been through my fare share of flgihtsim laser tracer discussions  Smiley
Yes, tracers have the same problem.

But I have worked with a grinder and hammered metal a lot and it does look like the picture to my eyes, the sparks move fast and bright enough that you see trails not points.
In dark area in garage with candlelight or in bright direct sunlight?

Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »

Yep in full sunlight it's much like the pic for me not as bright or long but still little trails.  Only the slowest sparks appear as points of light for me.

But it doesn't really matter, the in game sparks are fine and getting a full realistic spark trail system in would take a whole heap of work probably not worth it unless writing whole new engine.  Unless there's a motion blur shader that can be applied just to the sparks already in the engine that is.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 05:13:40 PM »

But it doesn't really matter, the in game sparks are fine and getting a full realistic spark trail system in would take a whole heap of work probably not worth it unless writing whole new engine.  Unless there's a motion blur shader that can be applied just to the sparks already in the engine that is.
"Motion blur shader" cant apply only for sparcs or even only for all particles w/o changes or some very worse changes in rendering pipeline at all, its really problem. But if its possible this "shader" not solve the problem at realistic manner. We change physically correct but with some visual issues to Hollywood "photorealistic" arcade things look. This complex problem not have a realistic good solution. Motion blur or tailes this is not it.

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:06:04 PM »

I can say that if we smooth the fire sprites for Mius, it is likely to fall into the GTOS with one of the patches.

Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »

Hi Andrey I had a look at the effects of wind on smoke and it seems that at about 8-12 Mph (13 - 19) smoke blows parallel to the wind, so a burning tank on flat ground would have its smoke column running along the ground.
I don't know how precise wind speed is measured in GTOS and it might already be realistic and the wind speed just can't be set that high in game.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 07:27:18 PM »

Hi Andrey I had a look at the effects of wind on smoke and it seems that at about 8-12 Mph (13 - 19) smoke blows parallel to the wind, so a burning tank on flat ground would have its smoke column running along the ground.
I don't know how precise wind speed is measured in GTOS and it might already be realistic and the wind speed just can't be set that high in game.

Yes in GTOS can be a high speed wind and smoke and dust scaterred along landscape. But in good weather its not used (wind ranges specifed by weather types). Available only in Storm or Blizzard - this weather types have a wide ranges for wind speeds.

Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »

That's cool, I don't fight in storm or blizzard often.
Can I suggest a new weather setting of windy with strong wind but no rain or overcast?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 07:32:18 AM »

That's cool, I don't fight in storm or blizzard often.
Can I suggest a new weather setting of windy with strong wind but no rain or overcast?
Typically, a strong wind is harbinger to change of weather, not the weather itself. Maybe we try to do it if have a time.

Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »

Saw this cool vid when looking at tank hits, thought people might be interested

You'll need to set the captions to english on the control bar.
Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »

Same country that gave us Volvo cars Smiley, impressive and interesting film!

Regards

Aces

"IL-2 MAT Manager" co-dev.,Silent Hunter III "Super Turms","Super Pens","Crew on Deck" ,Multi-Skin Bombers dev. Wings of Victory v2.10.
Gamefront: http://tinyurl.com/bpbaeyl
Mediafire: http://tinyurl.com/bn2aoqt
Void
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »

Saw this cool vid when looking at tank hits, thought people might be interested

You'll need to set the captions to english on the control bar.

Thanks for posting! Very good video.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: