Graviteam
April 28, 2024, 06:07:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would any one be interested in a completly fake campaign using Hooper map?  (Read 5618 times)
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: March 28, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »

Says it all.  I want to do SOMETHING with the vehicles I have made but Shield of the Prophets map has IMO limited replay value.  It does offer some basic learning how to use good ground with tanks value.  Infantry is totally hosed on that map.   Tongue  Only a handful of spots that they stand a chance against armor.  The fact I am on turn 7 as USSR and wiped out 60 percent of IRAN and Afgan guys while loosing 4 platoons tells me I have a good handle on how to use tanks with the limited hull down options of that map.   Oh and springing evil traps on the poor AI.  2 more turns of this thing and its pretty much over for Iran.   The fight where the AI launched 5 platoons of m113's against my 3 of t55's was quite silly.   Tongue  Except for that one m113 that somehow got itself with 15 meters of my t55's and dumped a squad of infantry at point blank.   

Hoopers map is really good.  I loved the thing in SABOW.  Made a few campaigns using it.  Its been long enough that its almost new to me again.  So the idea floating in my head is either using Iran in Angola or modifying a side with some western gear.  Unita being the most likely.  Would be a true frank-en mod.  If there is a bit of interest would dust off my old saladin armored car. 

Yabba dabba do
topnik
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »

I'd be interesting. I don't have the DLC yet, but I know the map from SABOW.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »

I'd be interesting. I don't have the DLC yet, but I know the map from SABOW.
In GTOS used expanded and improved map, ~two times larger

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
topnik
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »

In GTOS used expanded and improved map, ~two times larger
That's twice more the reason to get it.  Grin
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »

I picked up the Zhalanashkol 69 DLC with some GG blue coins last month when it was 75% off and have been testing out your M113 APC mods on the Zhalanaskol map in quick battles.

I've also been using the Russians and Afghan forces on the Zhalanashkol map too,  simulating the Russian war there in the 1980s.

Wish the map was a little larger with maybe a few villages to fight over since I think it would lend itself to a decent campaign using the modern gear to simulate other conflicts that have been going on in that region for the last 30 years.

Last night one of my QBs involved a Russian mech. battalion border incursion into northern Iran to interrupt and destroy a well protected supply dump that has been supplying rebel forces in Azerbaijan-similar to the American invasions into Laos and Cambodia in the 1970s.

I think a mod that puts flak jackets and helmets on the Russian mech troops would be cool like what is on the assault  border troops in the Zhalanashkol DLC.

Another idea would be-Air assault companies(helo-borne) used the same way that airmobile supply dumps are used. 

You could probably add the Saladin AC to the Afghan or Iranian order of battle for some interesting QB options too.

I have quite a few interesting ideas if a proper mod could be made to modify some of the existing order of battles for the modern forces utilizing pretty much everything that has already been created for this game involving some very minor modifications.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:23:57 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 10:05:34 PM »

YA the saladin I have considered adding to Iran.  Its not THAT different than a scorpion light tank.  Ok, well the guns and ammo are nearly the same.  Wait the ammo is the same.  Tongue  I also considered doing something with Zhalanashkol.  But Hooper's gets my vote.  But quickly getting where folks would need every modern DLC to run mod.  So far the number downloads for stuff I have done for GTOS is a handful of the numbers from SABOW.  SABOW the grand total was around 3000 downloads.  While at first was getting quite a number at first.  Gtos for solokovo redux was like 72.   Now I make this stuff cause I enjoy it but also for others to mess around with.  Extra motivation helps.   Grin

How are you finding the m113's? 

Yabba dabba do
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »

How are you finding the m113's? 

I'm finding that they still die very quick once the shooting starts.
I need to try some QBs without tanks to get a better look at them.

Generally,once the shooting starts I find myself managing the armor until things start to mellow out but by this time the mech platoon APCs are already burning and I end up going back to managing the armor.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 11:52:26 PM »

Yes m113's are totally hosed when tanks are around.  But so are btr60's.  The 113 is only good for shooting infantry and maybe btr's.  BMP they can kill but they need to be close and on a flank to do it reliably.  The recoiless m113 can kill tanks but the deck is massively stacked.  PLaying the modded soviet prophet only once did an m113 with m40 present a small danger to my tanks.  Ai stuck in a real good bush wack location over watching dug in infantry.  It got a couple 106mm's off with 1 hit but nothing killed on my tanks.  All testing I did was with btr60's and some bmps.  Dug in m113's did vary well in this scenario against btr's.  The ai handles m113's rather dumb when tanks are about.  The battle I fought where 5 m113 platoons attacked 3 t55 was just insanely strange. Although 1 m113 with a squad got damned close somehow and dumped its infantry at point blank of 3 t55's.  1 t55 killed one mob killed.  Killed tank was with the energa rifle grenade...well many of them on flank.  Mobility killed one was with rpg7 from front. 

Why I really should make a campaign that feature more bmps, btr's and infantry than tanks in closer in fight where light armor like m113 might stand more of a chance.  If going more fantasy using real world gear.... I think m113 ACAV's .  Tongue  Hmmm maybe base a fantasy force off of ANZACs in Vietnam?   Still floating around ideas that could work with what is on hand or could be done with out needing 3 or 4 months to do it.  Iran Iraq war would be ideal in this case for obvious reasons. I still have my nearly complete m38a1 jeeps but right now for prophet completely worthless. One reason I stuck on pause that project.  No where they could really shine and be historical.

Yabba dabba do
Schuck
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »

Hey Flashburn,
What ever happened to the German Sokolovo mission?
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »

Hey Flashburn,
What ever happened to the German Sokolovo mission?

Indeed!  Still will do it.  What happened is I was meaning to just chill out with replaying Hooper..  Then well hmmm.... Shield of the prophet.  Then ya, was like why have I not stuck in my old stuff in GTOS.   Tongue  I was also thinking of touching on that one before I jump into something a little bigger. 

Yabba dabba do
topnik
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 10:06:41 PM »

Looking forward to the German Sokolovo campaign! I always wondered why it didn't make it to the DLC...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: