Graviteam
April 27, 2024, 11:23:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jagdpanther Armour  (Read 9479 times)
Bob123321
Oberleutnant

« on: May 16, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »

I was having a go at the Tes defensive mission the other day in the jagdpanther (very attractive looking vehicle). I killed quite a few enemies but was taken out by a penetrating frontal shot from a t34 at 1km during several attempts. I was wondering, is this meant to happen?

From a quick search the gun on the t34-85 using the standard 'red' AP ammo has about 100mm of penetration at 1km against 90 a degree plate.
The jadgpanther has 80mm on the frontal plate sloped 60 degrees from the vertical, which is equivalent to 160mm at 90 degrees (thats what the panzerworld armour calculator says anyway). To me at least it would seem that the shot under those parameters should have been deflected?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:16:37 PM by Bob123321 » Logged
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 02:20:44 PM »

I was having a go at the Tes defensive mission the other day in the jagdpanther (very attractive looking vehicle).
This JPtr has a long story. Firstly it was made 4 years ago by Stone2009 and Maleshkin with excellent texture, but model had many issues and had only one LOD. Then after two years Donken re-designed it on 95% and we got excellent model, but with different UVmap. It does that old texture from original JPtr didn't suit. But texture was so beautiful, then we decided to leave it as it is. And only after 4 years later will1973 transfered texture from the old model to the newest one. And now it's a very closer to the perfect! Wink

I killed quite a few enemies but was taken out by a penetrating frontal shot from a t34 at 1km during several attempts. I was wondering, is this meant to happen?
According to the picture there is no penetration. The color of the red arrow is dark, means no penetration. Only in case if it's bright, then we've penetration. All damages were caused by the fragments. Suppose, it wasn't lucky day for the JPtr  Cheesy
But to be sure u need to place JPtr on the fire polygon(mission "Fire Ground") and shoot at the target from smth. similar. Let's say from the Panther.
BTW
At this position it's impossible to finish mission successfully. U should hide JPtr in the bush.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:17:35 PM by lockie » Logged

Provocative signature removed
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:59:54 PM »

I was having a go at the Tes defensive mission the other day in the jagdpanther (very attractive looking vehicle). I killed quite a few enemies but was taken out by a penetrating frontal shot from a t34 at 1km during several attempts. I was wondering, is this meant to happen?

From a quick search the gun on the t34-85 using the standard 'red' AP ammo has about 100mm of penetration at 1km against 90 a degree plate.
The jadgpanther has 80mm on the frontal plate sloped 60 degrees from the vertical, which is equivalent to 160mm at 90 degrees (thats what the panzerworld armour calculator says anyway). To me at least it would seem that the shot under those parameters should have been deflected?

No it shouldnt happen. It shouldnt even be enough to kill the crew from spalling as lockie tried to explain, the front armor angle is to great and the caliber of the t34-85 is to small so it should be a clear case of a bouncing hit!

Edit: Found this old paper i uploaded on imageshack years ago!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:07:59 PM by Donken » Logged

The real heroes are those that never came back.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:35:36 PM »

Well, for any case I've checked out configuration file of the JPtr and ... found mistake. As it appeared new model JPtr has old armor map Roll Eyes Will be fixed in the next update.
Right now to fix it, open with notepad the next file:
data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\tech_cfg\jagdpanther.engcfg
find entry:
armor_map=armor_maps\jagdpanther_armor.tga;
replace on
armor_map=armor_maps\jagdpanther1_armor.tga;
save

Bob123321
Oberleutnant

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:36:14 PM »

Ok, thats good, i'll do some more testing and see how it works out.

By the way Lockie, those shots on the right hand side of the gun did actually penetrate, their hit vectors just look much more dull in the screenshot (they were bright ingame). You can see the vector for a non penetrating hit on the left side of the gun, it's so dull its hardly visible.

By the way is there any way I can up the resolution the game takes screenshots at? Also Is there some utility you can use to see the armour maps fully assembled? I can open them as .tga images but they are flat, so it's hard to tell which bits are where.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 09:57:38 AM »

By the way Lockie, those shots on the right hand side of the gun did actually penetrate, their hit vectors just look much more dull in the screenshot (they were bright ingame). You can see the vector for a non penetrating hit on the left side of the gun, it's so dull its hardly visible.
OK, see it now.

By the way is there any way I can up the resolution the game takes screenshots at?
I think yes. Here's screenshot by Flanker15
I stitched together a huge panoramic screenshot of the aftermath
18MB high res. Also using the no snow winter weather mod.
http://www.4shared.com/download/FbSUHlhZba/shot_2014_03_18_21_16_16_0023.jpg?lgfp=3000

Also Is there some utility you can use to see the armour maps fully assembled?
U can do it manually.
1. Copy jagdpanther1_armor.tga file in the folder:
data\k42\loc_rus\textures\techn\spguns
2. Rename original texture file on smth. techn_jagdpanther_c.dds -> 000_techn_jagdpanther_c.dds.
3. Then rename jagdpanther1_armor.tga -> techn_jagdpanther_c.dds
4. Start OE and have a look. (U may paint armor map in the color to see more precisely)

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:24:52 AM »

There are 2 jagdpanther armour maps including what I believe to be the original one called jagpanther_armor.tag with only 193 kbs....I guess it should be eliminated from the armour maps folder. Right?
Bob123321
Oberleutnant

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »

OE is object editor? I can't seem to find it on my install, is it something extra you have to get?
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 11:51:46 AM »

There are 2 jagdpanther armour maps including what I believe to be the original one called jagpanther_armor.tag with only 193 kbs....I guess it should be eliminated from the armour maps folder. Right?
Yes, but u may keep it. It doesn't make a dif.

OE is object editor? I can't seem to find it on my install, is it something extra you have to get?
Yes.
http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.0
Q. How to start "Mission Editor"/"Object Editor"?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:53:40 AM by lockie » Logged

33lima
Oberst

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 03:17:50 PM »

I have made the armour fix (thanks for that) but...first try at the mission, my starting position was on the forward slope facing the enemy, with the treeline a long way behind. I backed up, but was hit and killed before I reached the treeline or could make it into 'dead ground'. Second try, my starting position had moved to the left and I was in dead ground. I backed up and made it into the woods. I then decided to go 'right flanking' and crunched through the trees, in cover and parallel to the tree line. Just as I slowed down to stop on the treeline and watch for targets, I got the 'mission failed' message - game over!!!

Earlier I had just played the third(?) German mission in T-34 -v- Tiger and it had the same problem as the first Jagdpanther mission - I was positioned out in the open and had waves of Soviet 'bots' thrown at me, before I could do anything. Not good.

[Rant alert!] Missions should allow the player to continue longer, even if one or more mission objectives are failed! Any time limits should be LOOOONG and as for other objectives, the player may be able to re-take lost territory or destroy more enemies, if allowed to continue!  [Rant alert, all clear!]

I remember that I hand-edited most of the stock missions in Panzer Commander to extend the time limits. It was more fun and more realistic, giving me time to play tactically and not space invaders on tracks. Much better.

This mission would also be better with victory conditions which allow the player (i) to continue longer and (ii) more time for tactical stuff, especially early in the mission.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of his country!" when the guns begin to shoot!
'Tommy', Rudyard Kipling, 1892
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 10:00:20 AM »

[Rant alert!] Missions should allow the player to continue longer, even if one or more mission objectives are failed! Any time limits should be LOOOONG and as for other objectives, the player may be able to re-take lost territory or destroy more enemies, if allowed to continue!  [Rant alert, all clear!]

If you're well-versed in the Way of the Tank, you may want to give my Panzer III missions a try. You'll be able to carry on fighting as long as there aren't any bad screw-ups, that's my guarantee!

Yep I'm shameless. Shame on me  Grin

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
33lima
Oberst

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 10:49:57 AM »

OK Kyth it's time I took a 'Mark 3' for a spin! It was fun clobbering them in a T-34 but now it's time I found out what it's like on the 'receiving end' of some Soviet steel!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of his country!" when the guns begin to shoot!
'Tommy', Rudyard Kipling, 1892
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 09:54:22 AM »

BTW
There is mission "Jagdpanther over the top"(MP1.2). The idea of the mission - Jdpth should provide the defence of the column against horde of the T-34/43.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: