Graviteam
May 01, 2024, 06:32:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Otto Carius: Siivertsi tips?  (Read 10806 times)
tirta
Oberleutnant

« on: May 10, 2014, 07:21:43 AM »

Hi Guys,

I have tried this mission several times, but my tanks always get killed or damaged.
Do you have any tips on how to finish this mission successfully?

I have already sent all units to "defend" waypoint.
And I have tried to stay behind them.
But I think there is too many enemy tanks,
so eventually my tanks always get damaged at the end.

Any tips are appreciated.
Thanks.

lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:40:59 AM »

I've managed only a couple times to finish mission successfully Cheesy
As I remember I sent my two `tigers` to the trees defence line. It's in the middle between cemetery and village. My tank meanwhile went to the village, where I tried to hide the tank hull behind the houses.
The main idea is to destroy one flank of the attacking enemy and have a good position in the village. If u just shoot the enemy units, then finally u'll be overrun by them tanks.

Provocative signature removed
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:20:41 AM »

I have tried the mission thrice at balance 10  Grin

I failed both times because:

1) despite my Tiger destroying 11 Bolschewik tanks they still manage to kill or destroy all my fellow Tigers and occupy the village.My advice is to play it at balance 5 + less enemy tanks.I personally refuse to do it and I''ll simply change the victory/defeat triggers in the game scripts so I can keep on going after every single enemy tank and destroy them....The Fuehrer expects no less from me.... Wink

2) my Tiger was disabled the other times I played the mission and was thus unable to protect the whole village and prevent.

In real life Soviet tank crews were not as good as the AI in SF in spotting and shooting you from long distances.... I would suggest adding a few more German AT guns into play in the mission to even the odds a bit.
tirta
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:33:56 AM »

Hi lockie and frinik,

Hiding behind house is a good strategy.
I manage to stay alive because of it.
Thanks lockie for sharing your strategy.

However, even all the enemy tank are dead or damaged,
the mission is still a failure, why?

lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »

However, even all the enemy tank are dead or damaged,
the mission is still a failure, why?
Te condition of the victory is:
- user's total superiority in 3 times during 1 minute all over the map

Let's change a bit condition of the victory. Let superiority be 1.5 times. To make this change open with notepad the file:
\data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\SCRIPTS\cm_pack_mission30\Carius01k_scripts.engscr
find entry
   ger_vic, 0x10, 2, 3.000, 1.000;
replace on
   ger_vic, 0x10, 2, 1.500, 1.000;
Save

Also we can change the condition of the user's fail.
   usr_fail, 0x5, 1, sov_tac_fin, 2.500, 3.000;
   usr_fail, 0x5, 1, sov_tac_fin, 3.000, 5.000;

tirta
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:12:36 AM »

Also we can change the condition of the user's fail.
   usr_fail, 0x5, 1, sov_tac_fin, 2.500, 3.000;
   usr_fail, 0x5, 1, sov_tac_fin, 3.000, 5.000;

what does the number change exactly?
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »

what does the number change exactly?
2.500 - 2.5 times superiority of the soviet in the village
3.000 - during 3 minutes
It does that u've to watch on for the soviet tanks which came into the village and destroy them or if they have  superiority 2.5 times during 3 minutes, then user fail.

tirta
Oberleutnant

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 02:45:29 PM »

thanks lockie for the explanation.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

the german gunsight takes a while to get used to,
when you zoom it in,
you can not see the number on top.
is this intentional?
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 04:12:11 PM »

the german gunsight takes a while to get used to,
when you zoom it in, you can not see the number on top. is this intentional?
It's hard to say without picture. But let me guess - did u press "backspace" to zoom in? If so, then it's normal.
I remember there was "optic mod" and "backspace" didn't work, but I'm not sure.

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 07:17:20 AM »

Speaking a of that mission a few observations;

1) why do the Germans have 5cm Pak38 AT guns instead of the 7.5cm Pak40 which would have been standard equipment that late in the war? The Pak 38 were practically all removed from frontline duties by early 1943.

2) the mortars in SF are useless; the  crews don't aim don't have a clue at targeting thus they do no damage. Better replace them with 75mm leigh.

3) Why not add a couple of Stug III Gs to balance the forces better as well? That's what the Germans would normally have used.

4) why do the Soviets have 1941 T34 models? By February 1944 they would essentially have the T34/43 and possibly a few T34/85 that were starting to be deployed.
Bob123321
Oberleutnant

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 08:42:10 AM »

I've seen the motars get quite a few kills, as long as the're in a pit to protect them from fire
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 09:34:46 AM »

1) why do the Germans have 5cm Pak38 AT guns instead of the 7.5cm Pak40
To make challenge more hard!  Grin As I remember, originally there were only `tigers` without AT guns.

2) the mortars in SF are useless; the  crews don't aim don't have a clue at targeting thus they do no damage. Better replace them with 75mm leigh.
Mortars makes damages, but to use them against moving infantry are less effective than on unmovable.

3) Why not add a couple of Stug III Gs to balance the forces better as well? That's what the Germans would normally have used.
That would be good, but mission is already overloaded with units. Anyway, user have possibility to make changes whatever he wants Wink

4) why do the Soviets have 1941 T34 models? By February 1944 they would essentially have the T34/43 and possibly a few T34/85 that were starting to be deployed.
This question was already discussed. T-34/76 were implemented, coz they had 3LOD's.

PS
Would be cool, if someone would make a video with this mission!  8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:28:06 AM by lockie » Logged

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 10:26:01 AM »

I wish I could be I have only free fraps which does not allow one to make long vids....
Skiv
Oberleutnant

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »

Hey Frinik, use https://obsproject.com/ to record your video. Its better than Fraps, and free.
Philip Von Webber
Oberleutnant

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 02:35:09 AM »

Yes, this is one tough mission. So far I've tried it twice, and the Tiger became Swiss cheese from 76.2mm. I did try to block the crossing point and the Ivans just used the other.  Did manage to dispatch a great many Russian tanks. When I turned to head to the other crossing showing the thinner flank armor to the enemy is when they knocked me out. I don't know how many the platoon nailed (I didn't check).

Finding a good position is paramount (imo), a place where you can use the standoff range of your 88-mm. and cover the crossing closest to the village. then defend the village as a last resort and hope that you have at least one of the wing Tigers that survived. Once they enter the village-it's game over and the thick armor really doesn't help too much.

Initial set-up in an "ambush" is straight forward load up with an AP round and set sights on 600M. When they show up- range with you COAX MG and adjust up or down till you see the bullets bounce off your target. Then fire the cannon. Target the closest tank to yours, and "try" to keep hitting them at long range. I setup after looking at the map to see what the terrain looks like. 1000M, 600M, and 300m are the presets. I use the 300M in villages and "tight" terrain.

If you have to shoot and scoot try getting the tank to run on the oblique to your target (your main gun is at 10:00 or 2:00 to hull) do the quick stop and range and fire. A moving target is harder to hit.(Not a problem with modern tanks) The reason for this in that it changes the range to target and leading is slightly amiss- so if they fire at you it stand a good chance that they will miss. This also work when the tank is in reverse too.

Good Luck...
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 04:48:11 AM »

Hey Frinik, use https://obsproject.com/ to record your video. Its better than Fraps, and free.

Thanks Skiv I am going to try it out! Smiley
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 04:55:13 AM »

Phlip what balance did you use?I always plays at balance 10 which means the enemy is max capacity.

There's a couple of things to consider;

1) the Tiger I does not seem nearly as tough in SF as its described in war reports.

2) the AI is both stupid and fearless in SF.In real life, tankers would often retreat or regroup if taking too many casualties. In SF they keep on fighting to the last thus increasing the chances of damaging or destroying your tank. Because your AI wingmen and allies are dimwitted you cannot rely on them too much to flank, retreat to new defensive positions or not to rush ahead foolishly and get killed within 2 minutes of the mission starting.

3) AT guns are depending on the situation not up to the task.because we have no real AT emplacements they are very vulnerable to direct and indirect fire thus are often put out of action fast.
Philip Von Webber
Oberleutnant

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »

frinik;
I agree to all three of your points. I think the armor is too weak on the Tiger I. Yeah the AI is dumber than a box rocks with a negative IQ, even the  crew is a little on the "slow" side. Tank drivers have ADD when following a pre-set way-point path and the wing tank seem to ram into you in the heat of battle. I one battle one of my wingdings managed to upend me out of position.
I do have a small problem with the AT guns I usually lose a track when dealing with them and thus cannot complete the mission and have to restart.
When using Russian tanks like the KV-1 that pesky 10.5cm Inf gun manages to KO me. Kinda funny.
My settings when playing the Germans is heavily in favor to the Russians- I like that "Oh crap here they come feeling" of being outnumbered.
I do like the King Tiger armor values, now she can take it (except when they get too close)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: