Graviteam
April 27, 2024, 02:42:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some Su-2 (M-88b) experts!  (Read 40123 times)
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »

Well this morning and one of the things I have been meaning to mess around with, was to use the paint feature of autodesk mudbox  to apply some basic color to the model.  Well...I hate it.  Potentially something like this could be a massive time saver but unless I am missing something with the basic paints tools...well there basic!  If there is a way way to control flow and brush styles I have not found it.  there probably is... But even then, not so great.  Its just the issue of applying "paint" real time to curved complex surfaces.  It just always gets it not quite right.  Newer photoshop CS's also are starting get this capability and with similar woes.   

I guess as of now the old try and fix method of just paint in PS and apply to model or simply hack the crap out of the model and use the modified UVW mapping as guide is still IMO better. 

Yabba dabba do
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »

Sorry Flashurn, no A20G-1 at all in the current and possible maps. Have carefully checked all monthly reports of the 8th Air Army (Southern/4-th Ukrainian Front) from July 43 to Feb 44 (Partly Taranovka/Sokolovo august 43, Mius and etc.). Only  A-20B were there as line bombers but it seems as soon as it was possible they were substituted with PE-2. That A-20 was to vulnurable to ground fire.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »

Sorry Flashurn, no A20G-1 at all in the current and possible maps. Have carefully checked all monthly reports of the 8th Air Army (Southern/4-th Ukrainian Front) from July 43 to Feb 44 (Partly Taranovka/Sokolovo august 43, Mius and etc.). Only  A-20B were there as line bombers but it seems as soon as it was possible they were substituted with PE-2. That A-20 was to vulnurable to ground fire.

Wonder where all those A20G's went too?  Someone hand them.  Indeed the A20 was not an ideal mid or late war plane.  But was quite good for what it was in 1940.  As it was quite fast.  Able to match many fighters speed at the outset. Its follow on A26 invader was in the US inventory to Vietnam.  Which tells you they took what worked and what did not. 

But as a suprise attack plane mounting 8 .50 cal MG's or 4 20 mm cannons, well i would not want to be under that wall of death.  Oh and carry a couple thousand pounds of bombs as well.  Ya no thank you. 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »

BTW did the A20B's or others come with Nordan bomb sights?   I would think cruising at 10000 meters used as fast light bombers cruising at around 330 miles an hour would be a useful thing.  Once the bombs where dropped hitting 350 to get the fook out.  I know the plane is not perfect.  There where better light bombers.  And there where better attack planes.  But was still a neat plane IMO.  Some even got to France before her fall and fought on in North Africa later. 

Yabba dabba do
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 05:59:51 PM »

Have no idea what Nordan is. The tactics which was used by A20 of the 8th Air Army was line bombing from 2500 - 3500 meters or from mildly sloping dive from 3000 to 1000/800 meters. The same tactics was used by Pe-2 in that period. Steep dives was a seldom thing.

The germans did the same with HE-111 and Ju-88 which were the main attack planes on the Mius July'43.

A20's guns was used only as a defence against an enemy fighter. So, they just turnen to an enemy fighter and started firing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:03:02 PM by FB_AGA » Logged
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »

The Nordan was a super duper (kind of) bomb sight for use at high altitudes in level bombing.  Well basically it just let the bombardier fly the plane with some basic mechanical aim help...  It did improve level bombing at high altitude.  How much better is open to debate.

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »

And yes it was vulnerable to ground fire...

http://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/a-20-havoc-boston/a-20g-havoc-43-9432-bevo-of-the-387th-bs-hit-by-flak-during-an-attack-on-kokas-new-guinea-22-july-1944/

Yabba dabba do
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »

The Nordan was a super duper (kind of) bomb sight for use at high altitudes in level bombing.  Well basically it just let the bombardier fly the plane with some basic mechanical aim help...  It did improve level bombing at high altitude.  How much better is open to debate.

I am not sure that USA supplied "The Empire of Evil" with such wonderful things   Wink
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2014, 06:20:49 PM »

I am not sure that USA supplied "The Empire of Evil" with such wonderful things   Wink

UGh in those days you guys where buds fighting the good fight.  Crap, some rich private citizens where buying tanks and planes and sending them east!  But ya that bomb sight was suppose to be super top secret.   I am sure the Germans had warehouses full of them from crashed B25, B26, A20's, B17, and B24's.  Although the bombardier was suppose to destroy the thing asap if a crash landing in occupied lands or of course Germany. Alot of men died running those early convoys to the USSR. 

But IMo political powers on both sides needed a boogie man after the Nazi's fell.  And still do.. UGh  stupid people. 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2014, 07:27:27 PM »

Here is where IMO it starts to look worse for a bit.  Mapping out where stuff goes across the unwrapping job.  Basically if it looks jagged and weird means I have not suffered threw those bits yet.  Soon as blue is done, then tweak green to the correct shade, and finally add the black camo pattern.  Then back to rivets. ...and more rivets.  Followed by rivets. With a side of rivets. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:30:57 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 07:54:53 PM »

Here is where IMO it starts to look worse for a bit.  Mapping out where stuff goes across the unwrapping job.  Basically if it looks jagged and weird means I have not suffered threw those bits yet.  Soon as blue is done, then tweak green to the correct shade, and finally add the black camo pattern.  Then back to rivets. ...and more rivets.  Followed by rivets. With a side of rivets. 

Wonderful

I hope it is not too late and this schemes might be usefull  Huh?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:56:34 PM by FB_AGA » Logged
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 08:18:49 PM »

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »

Nice info there.   Grin

Well I stuck black camo on.  Looks awful.  Need to redo the pattern.  OOOPSS

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »

woot!

http://www.flying-legends.ru/eng/images/Su-2_at_Myseum_of_Stalingrad_Battle_4.JPG

Might try and represent some of this detail in basic texture behind the cowling.  Will not be vary exciting but better than flat black. 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o179/uber_flash_pants/su2july151_zpse1ecce44.jpg

Not vary exciting and not much effort put in after the one I need stick effort in totally looked stupid.  Whatever.  looks so plain without the detail work.  and its way hot right now...and I ate these little almond roca things...it appears a lot of them.  And I want to drop dead.   Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »

WOOO those drawing are actually BIG.  The ones I have been using I think where like 800 x 600 pixels.  NICE.  those will help.  Thanks AGA! 

Gonna stick em in my texture master and see if I speed my hot, sick feeling arse up. 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2014, 01:01:36 AM »

I hope this thing works.  Right now looks like a damned cheap die cast toy.

Yabba dabba do
Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2014, 06:49:35 AM »

MMMMmmmmmmmm        rivets.

Also wheel from another sim:

Plain rubber tube with 3 stripes close together on the centre.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »

About what I figured.   Grin 

Will maybe make a better looking wheel for the pedia than mine.  But is so far down on the list.  This all assumes things will work out like I would like.  FOr instance.... I am not sure how to rig the bomb bay doors to actually work correct! 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2014, 03:43:10 PM »

Well still looks like a cheap die cast thingie...

Yabba dabba do
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: