Graviteam
April 28, 2024, 06:59:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 "New" Maps for Mission Builders  (Read 18407 times)
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: February 28, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »

Hi,

As some observant folks may have noticed, there are 10 extra maps lurking somewhere in the SF folders. These are in addition to the 18 maps available in the Mission Editor. I think they were intended for the "Case Blue" add-on, which somehow never materialized.  Sad

The 18 regular maps are listed in the 'regpoly.engcfg' file, in the levels\camp folder, as follows:

regpoly()
{
   M01_Taranovka;
   M02_Glub_Dolina;
   M03_Borki;
   M04_Bereka;
   M05_Lozovenka;
   M06_Chepel;
   M07_Petrovka;
   M08_Gusarovka;
   M09_Zavodi;
   M10_B_Babka;
   M11_Nepokritoe;
   M12_Peschanoe;
   M13_Peremoga;
   M14_Mayaki;
   M15_Barvenkovo;
   M16_Izum;
   M17_Kazan;
   M18_Lozovskoe;
} // end of regpoly

To get at the 10 extra maps is actually a simple matter, just add them on to the list:

regpoly()
{
   M01_Taranovka;
   M02_Glub_Dolina;
   M03_Borki;
   M04_Bereka;
   M05_Lozovenka;
   M06_Chepel;
   M07_Petrovka;
   M08_Gusarovka;
   M09_Zavodi;
   M10_B_Babka;
   M11_Nepokritoe;
   M12_Peschanoe;
   M13_Peremoga;
   M14_Mayaki;
   M15_Barvenkovo;
   M16_Izum;
   M17_Kazan;
   M18_Lozovskoe;
   w01_stanovoe;
   w02_r_oskol;
   w03_ozerki;
   w05_gerasimovo;
   w04_kr_dolina;
   w07_fedorovka;
   w06_petrovka;
   w08_lomovo;
   w09_b_polyana;
   w10_perekopovka;

} // end of regpoly

Unlike the regular maps, the 10 "new" ones appear to be pristine. No entrenchments or wire, just unspoilt scenery.  Smiley

Give them a try!

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »

I checked all my various games reg poly folders and I don't have them not even the 18 stock ones.I only have those maps I managed to extract and install Rends, map206 and Alex poly 05 Sobolevskii district map. On the other hand, I have all of them inclmuding those you mentioned in my data/loc_rus/env folder in the shape of polypack files. I have always woondered what they were? I thionk your theory makes a great deal of sense.  Is there anyway you could email them to me in datapck format from your ME Kyth?

I' d be very grateful Cheesy

Cheers
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »

Frinik
Can you email the rends and alex poly maps in datapack please. I really like datapack files so easy to use. It would be nice if you could unpack polypack files the same way.  JohnN
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »

Frinik im in the same boat you are they are in envs folder and not in regpoly. Ill wait to hear from kyth.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:33:09 PM »

All of them an additional maps w01-w10 are beautiful (they were designed for the Fall Blau). Unfortunately, they are unfinished, but ready to use anyway. One of them w01_stanovoe I've tried to accommodate for the mission with T-35a. My personal and BIG THANKS to Kyth for his help with a new polygons!
ps
Polygon w06_petrovka was already used by me for the missions T-38 and Kubelwagen.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:36:11 PM by lockie » Logged

Provocative signature removed
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 02:24:36 AM »

OK John I ll email you Rends '  and Alex ppoly maps.However I think ypou need to have Rends Prorokovska's installed in your game for the map to work.

Cheers
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 03:54:13 AM »

I checked all my various games reg poly folders and I don't have them not even the 18 stock ones.I only have those maps I managed to extract and install Rends, map206 and Alex poly 05 Sobolevskii district map. On the other hand, I have all of them inclmuding those you mentioned in my data/loc_rus/env folder in the shape of polypack files. I have always woondered what they were?

Frinik and JohnN,

Yes, as described, that's the normal situation. The polypack files in the data\k42\loc_rus\envs folder are the maps which can be selected and used in the game and mission editor.

Meanwhile, what are the things in the other folder, data\k42\loc_rus\levels\envs ?
They come in sets, of 7 small files: <map name>.poly, spec.engcfg, zones.engcfg, flo.tga, grass.tga, hei.tga and rought.tga. They're used to generate the polypack maps, and regenerate them whenever necessary, i.e. when the map has been edited.

As you can see, not every polypack map has a corresponding set of 7 'dwarves'.  Any attempt to edit those maps would get an error message. By the way, the regular stock maps tend to have the 'map edit' option greyed out.

Can we generate the 7 small files from the large polypack file? The short answer is 'no'  Sad At least not that I know of.

The little diagram below is a summary of what we know:

--------------------------------
                                      |   data\k42\loc_rus\levels\envs |
                                      |                                |
  -----------           Unpack        |       1. <map name>.poly       |        Generate          ------------------------
 | Datapack  |     -------------->    |       2. spec.engcfg           |     -------------->     |  data\k42\loc_rus\envs |
 |           |                        |       3. zones.engcfg          |                         |                        |
 |   Files   |     <--------------    |       4. flo.tga               |     <-- X X X X ---     |   <map name>.polypack  |
  -----------            Pack         |       5. grass.tga             |                          ------------------------
                                      |       6. hei.tga               |
                                      |       7. rought.tga            |
                                       --------------------------------

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:37:00 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 05:31:01 AM »

Frinik
Thanks again i already have the rends mission provo installed but id like the map in datapack form to unpack and use in ME. The kursk battle is alot of fun and its anice area to create battles. Cheers,

Kyth
Will look into those 7 files and see if i can somehow extract to get a usable map in editor. I wonder how Lockie was able to use some of them .
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:31:05 AM »

JohnN,

Those 7 "dwarf" files are just the halfway point,  check out the little diagram in my earlier post.

Keep in mind, the game and mission editor uses the polypack files as maps.

The filesizes of the polypacks vs the polys and datapacks gives a clue about their relative importance to the game engine. Smiley
Each of those polypacks is at least 25MB!

Lockie was able to use the w06_petrovka map by obtaining the w06_petrovka.polypack file and getting it recognized in the Mission Editor. As far as I know, none of the stock maps, or the 10 extra maps, has the set of 7 "dwarves" Smiley.

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 07:30:49 AM »

I have tried to insert the new maps through the ME in the past all the time no go.I have the Petrovka wzz485 polypack that cqame with the mission(early trophy mod) bu try as I might I habve been unable extract the map out of it.

I just added the list of files to the reg poly folder list but no results.
Anyway thanks for the tips Wink
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 09:40:26 AM »

Alleluiah! I figured it out.It took me 10 minutes during my lunch break( I live in India which explains the odd hours I post and have lunch...).

I just pasted the list so gently offered by Kyth in his post into my reg_poly user folder. Didn't work.I suspected I was missing something to make those damned maps appear.Then I had a stroke of genius.John  listen to my explnation in order to get those new pamps.

1) copy the list of new maps into your levels/user/ user reg_poly folder as suggested by Kyth in his post.

2)open your map_editor( not the map_editor_gen)

3) click on create then a small window will appear with a prompt to enter the name of the map.Write w10_perekovska and click apply

4) the new map will appear at the bottom of the list of maps listed in your ME.

5) to make sure it works click on the create new mission option.Click on the new map and create a mission.Call it what you will( I called mine mission) and click on editor(lower right side of your create new mission window).

6) you'll see a list of missions in your ME click on the one you just created( Hem I am assuming you are familiar with the Mission Editor???) and bingo the map will appear!

7) I just created a nominal mission.Put a Panther tank into it, saved and loaded it and I went on a driving tour of the new map for 5 minutes.

After work I will do the same with the other 9 polypacked maps.

John if you are not familiar with the ME here's your chance to start.
Kyth, thanks a lot Man because you helped me figure it out!
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »

Embarrassed

Frinik,

I'd like to take the credit, but you're not there yet.  Lips Sealed

Here are the steps you need to do:

1. Create or edit the 'regpoly.engcfg' file. This file should reside in the \data\k42\loc_rus\levels\LEVELS\camp folder, as displayed below (it's 2 files above the 'user_camp.engcfg' in the picture)

2. It's possible that you don't have a regpoly.engcfg file! In that case, you need to use 'Notepad'. Copy and paste this data below, and save it as regpoly.engcfg (don't save it as a text file, use the 'all files' option):

regpoly()
{
   M01_Taranovka;
   M02_Glub_Dolina;
   M03_Borki;
   M04_Bereka;
   M05_Lozovenka;
   M06_Chepel;
   M07_Petrovka;
   M08_Gusarovka;
   M09_Zavodi;
   M10_B_Babka;
   M11_Nepokritoe;
   M12_Peschanoe;
   M13_Peremoga;
   M14_Mayaki;
   M15_Barvenkovo;
   M16_Izum;
   M17_Kazan;
   M18_Lozovskoe;
   w01_stanovoe;
   w02_r_oskol;
   w03_ozerki;
   w05_gerasimovo;
   w04_kr_dolina;
   w07_fedorovka;
   w06_petrovka;
   w08_lomovo;
   w09_b_polyana;
   w10_perekopovka;
} // end of regpoly

3. The new maps should be available at 'Mission Editor', where you select the map for a new mission:

I hope this helps,
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:40:47 PM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »

Sorry Kyth My Good Man but I beat you to it.I have all 10 maps in  datapack format in my ME without having to do all the steps that you recommended.

In fact I was able to unpack them just very simply through the map_editor feature, simply creating them by entering their name and bingo .It took me 20 minutes and I even added a few extra maps; Igor Japan, Best poly05 and Xream05.I then packed them on a usb stick and unpacked them into another game installtion and tested the, and they all work fine! No need to even copy their names into the user reg poly file.Asong as you have them in your game envs folder you're fine and you can, create them with a minimum of efforts.

Sorry Kyth but for once I trumped you 8)

John /kyth I can email you all these maps all you"ll have to do is to unpack them through your ME.

Cheers
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »

Sure, I'd like to have those datapacks!

Seeing is believing, though  Wink

(edit)

Frinik,

I have unpacked those datapacks you e-mailed.  They're just the default 'placeholder' files! They fool the Mission Editor into thinking there's a user-created map by that name. They work, though,

Just do not try editing the maps, they'll get overwritten with the generic map data...

Maybe it'll be easier doing my '3 easy steps' above, actually they're just 2 steps  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:20:40 PM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 04:55:15 PM »

Oh Dear§ You mean it's impossible to create bridges, or put houses, trenches and stuff like that?

Yes I know they work I have been touring my new properties with a Panzer and a kuebelwagen.As Lockie said they are pristine and empty..But you can missions with them which is what matters!!!

BTW using the same method I have been able to unpack 2 new maps; Stone 2009 Shahovo beta map which is based on the Kursk region and for which he made a mission for the T34/76 1942 model and Cherkasskoe for which he made a Panther D mission.Both are nice and have buildings and bridges.I ll email them to you.How did you like the Igor 05 map?It's huge with islands, fortresses and breathtaking landscapes....

Fooled or not(I think the ME simply reads those envs folders and unpacks the maps as they part and parcel of the original game) our stock of maps now has doubled Cheesy
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 05:42:07 PM »

They fool the Mission Editor into thinking there's a user-created map by that name.
Actually, I did the same way as frinik Smiley

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 05:57:41 PM »

Lockie do you feel lucky? Would you like to have an extra ( maps to play with?

Let me know
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »

Would you like to have an extra ( maps to play with?
I've all of them thanks to Kyth Wink
I just wander what the reason was to include 10 unfinished polygons(originally designed for Blau) into english version SF?

JohnN
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 09:57:47 PM »

Just read the postings going to try both methods and see whats going on. You guys are heroes.
Frinik Id like those maps please and i wonder what maps kyth and lockie have that you dont have. I wonder between all you guys if you consolidated them all how many there would be and how could i get them. Got some work to do now. Cheers
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 01:53:24 AM »

Fooled or not(I think the ME simply reads those envs folders and unpacks the maps as they part and parcel of the original game) our stock of maps now has doubled Cheesy

Okay then, I guess there's more than one way to skin the kitty,  Cheesy

"Yes."
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: