Graviteam
April 28, 2024, 07:30:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: MISSION BUILDING DISCUSSION  (Read 17977 times)
nodlew
Major

« on: October 17, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »

Ok. Rend and I have been talking a lot about Mission Building, so I'm going to start a thread for that topic.

First thing--I just made my first mission that made any logical sense. I had two AT guns and a squad of German inf. defending a village. I myself had my T-34 and a platoon of infantry. I used triggers to set the mission up so that the infantry would wait until my tank had crushed all opposition, and then they moved forward and occupied the village. When I dove my tank into the village, the mission was complete.

I made the infantry hold in place by using the Wait for Trigger script.

The Trigger was "All Purposes in a Contour have Recieved Hits" which essentially means that the enemy has to be wiped out before the trigger goes into effect. Now I'm going to try some different triggers and see how they effect the sequence of events.

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:26:39 PM »

oh and that one works?
I thought this function makes some "damages" to the units at mission starts because the manual say it´s used in training missions.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
nodlew
Major

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »

Well, it seemed to work perfectly. I moved forward and attacked and my infantry waited in place. It was not until every German in the contour was dead or had retreated that my infantry began to move forward.

I tested other triggers in the same way. When I made the trigger "The Efficiency of the Division is Decreased" or "The Efficiency of the Object Is Decreased" neither of those seemed to work. My infantry moved ahead instantly. So either the triggers don't work, or they don't work the way I'm thinking they do. Don't know what efficiency stands for--morale? Total unit strength?

Another trigger that worked was "Object is in a Contour." The infantry waited in place until the AI tanks I sent forward had entered the relevant Contour, and then the infantry instantly began to form up and move forward.

Man, I wish there were more triggers, but we can do a lot with the ones that are there. For instance, with the trigger Every Purpose in a Contour has Received hits, we can make the contour one anti-tank gun. So, knock out that one AT gun, and something happens. Or we can make scripts that are dependent upon triggers that are dependent upon scripts that are themselves random--so various things can potentially happen, and missions can be substantially different if re-played.

I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to get text into the game, and I have been examining the relevant files for hours. Could you, give me some tips on how to get, for example, a mission briefing text to appear? I know there has to be a mission_text.text file in the text folder, and then you have the mission_loc_data.text file in the Scripts folder--then there seems to be a section of the mission_scripts.engscr file that is related to mission text--in the cs_main() section of that file, but I haven't been able to make any headway with it so far.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:14:24 PM »

I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to get text into the game, and I have been examining the relevant files for hours. Could you, give me some tips on how to get, for example, a mission briefing text to appear? I know there has to be a mission_text.text file in the text folder, and then you have the mission_loc_data.text file in the Scripts folder--then there seems to be a section of the mission_scripts.engscr file that is related to mission text--in the cs_main() section of that file, but I haven't been able to make any headway with it so far.
So the babbelfish translation didn´t help? I wrote everything about adding text into this tutorial.

nodlew
Major

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »

Ok, I will have another look.

The trigger The Efficiency of a Division/Object Has Decreased does work. There is a "threshold" slider that sets its parameters. The slider scale goes from 0.5 to 10. I think if you set the trigger, say for a unit, then set the slider to 5, that means that if the unit is reduced by 50% the trigger goes into effect.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:04:10 PM by nodlew » Logged
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »

Great start to this thread! I hope we can keep it going and totally demystify this process. I don't think it's lost on any of us that the ability for more people to build their own missions (and hopefully, their own new terrains, and more tanks and assets) is a HUGE key to longevity for this title.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 11:25:39 PM »

Some random functions:
Random division mission start locations:
1. Create 2 or more countours and call them rus_tank01, rus_tank02, rustank03.
You can choose every name the importand thing is the 01...02...03 ending
2. Now switch to the tank unit you want to place on this contour(s)
In the countour field just type rus_tank and the division will show up on one of the 3 contours.

This random function works for the moving part too.
1.Create 2 or more closed contours and call them rus_target01, rus_target02, rus_target03.
2. Create a scipt and choose the movement order. In the contour field just type rus_target
3. Back to the division tab and select the division you want to have moving. In the script field type the name of the script or choose the autofill button.
Now the division will move to one of the 3 rus_target contours.

nodlew
Major

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 01:05:41 AM »

Ah, very cool. And easy. Here's a simple trick that I have found that increases randomness in missions. If you want to, say, put a couple of platoons of infantry in a village, make a position contour with four points, position those points to form a box around the village, then close the contour. The infantry will be randomly sprinkled throughout the village in different places every time the mission starts. Same thing for any type of unit. The only problem with the closed contour is that there is no way to make the units face in any particular direction, so it doesn't work as well with vehicles and gun emplacements. With those types of units, you can make an open contour that consists of a long line. Every time the mission starts, the units will be placed on the line in different positions. So you can make your own mission, and still be uncertain about where the anti-tank gun, or the machine guns are located, or the tanks, or anything else. Note (I know you know all of this Rend) the target contour of an artillery barrage must be closed, causing the shells to land in random spots within the contour. If you make an open  line, then the shells all fall right along the line, which is a very strange way for artillery to behave.

Apparently any "Division" (could be one vehicle, or a combination--does not equate to a military Division by any means) in the game can only have one designated Script. Scripts, however, can have multiple Operations which function in a linear way. For example:

kvadv()
{

ext, ai_move, assault, false, -1, 15;
   ext, wait_tr, kvdef;
   ext, ai_move, rusmov, false, -1, 15;
   ext, ai_defence, def, 15, 150;
}

This is a Script for a pair of KV1s to advance, attack a german defensive position, then take up defensive positions themselves in the village beyond.

The first Operation is simply for the tanks to move to the contour designated assault
The second is a wait for trigger Operation, it wont go into effect until the conditions for the trigger kvdef are met. Note this trigger does not mean that the KVs will stop and wait--they attack at will any target they detect. The KVs are not waiting for the trigger, rather the next Operation in the Script is waiting for the trigger.

The trigger kvdef is "The Superiority of the Allies in a Contour"--the Contour in question is the same as the one they moved to assault
There is a slider for the trigger which I have set to 50%. I am not exactly sure what this means, I am still testing it.
Anyway, once the trigger goes into effect the KVs now have another Movement order to move to the Contour rusmove
Upon reaching that Contour, the last Operation takes place, which is ai_defense--the tanks stay where they are somewhere in the Contour and defend it.

Defense mode is very useful. The defending forces stay put--tanks don't drive around and get their tracks shot off, they face their targets and fire from where they are, they will not drive off in pursuit of targets. Just like they ought to. One could set up a trigger, however, to cause them to retreat to a fall-back position if they took a certain degree of losses, or to go on the attack if they get the upper hand. Or one could set up a trigger to cause the KVs to go on the move if the enemy got beyond a certain point and they were in danger of being overrun or flanked. One could actually, using triggers, make the KVs respond to an attack in a fluid and tactically sound fashion.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:54:42 AM by nodlew » Logged
nodlew
Major

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »

The problem I'm having using the "Babble Fish translated" document you supplied is that, apart from a too-literal translation (one program called Boldface "Fat-Printed", which is accurate, but confusing), is that the instructions are not general instructions on how to add text to the mission, but rather a point by point list of the changes you made for that one mission. For instance, from the Rds1_scripts.engscr

cs_main()
{

ext, add_misobj, brief, map_rds1karte, 4, txt_brief_Rds1, txt_rds1_order;
   nop;
   ext, sel_waypoint, Dorf_ziel1, 0xff00a040, txt_md_zwischensiegcontour, 0;

There is a lot of extra stuff in there--map pics, text added to the mission map--all I want to do is add a mission brief text, which appears to be in there at txt_brief_Rds1. So I have tried removing everything else and just leaving the essential part, still without success so far.

Here is what I ended up with:

cs_main()
{

ext, add_misobj, brief, txt_brief_test1, txt_test1_order;

Didn't work. For one thing, I don't know what the txt_rds1_order is, or does.

I note that in Rds1_text.text you have this:

loc_rus()
{

txt_mc_Rds1() { North of Brest, June,23, 1941. 13:00 (Pz-III); }
   txt_rds1_order() { Mission; }
   txt_md_rds1_wegnachbrest() { To Brest; }....

I think that txt_mc_Rds1 provides a mission title--the text you see when you select the mission in the User Made Missions menu.
But what does txt_rds1_order() { Mission; } do?

I don't see any text idendified as rds1_order. Is this somehow related to the mission briefing?

Also--typeface: In your document, you make a point of reminding yourself to use Boldface type when inputting the various lines of instructions and text--but none of those things are showing up as Boldface type in the programs I am using to examine them--notepad, wordpad, OpenOffice. Is the Boldface a critical element?

Finally, all of the changes I am attempting to make are being made outside of the editor itself using text editing programs. I do not see anything in the editor for adding, or altering text. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any further clarification you are willing to make.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »

The trigger The Efficiency of a Division/Object Has Decreased does work. There is a "threshold" slider that sets its parameters.
The best way to set up the amount of  Efficiency of a Division/Object Has Decreased is just simply to correct manually the file ***.engscr
And some other words how does mentioned triggers work. Let say, u've a first stage of mission to defend the village. The task is to make a damage against attacking units: 01_tank, 02_tank.
At first, u've to create two triggers: tr_tank_01 and tr_tank_02, which works with "Efficiency of a Division Has Decreased"=1.2.  Next create the third trigger logical operation: tr_tank_01 & tr_tank_02. The third trigger'll change his state from "0" to "1" if both triggers tr_tank_01 and tr_tank_02 will be switched, means - both tanks got a damage which equal or more than a value "1.2". It does the first stage of mission is completed.

Provocative signature removed
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »

I don't know what the txt_rds1_order is, or does

But what does txt_rds1_order() { Mission; } do?

Simple. Run a mission and the first screen you get is a tactical map on the top left and the mission briefing below.
On the right there is the back to mission and menu button.
Below the buttons there is an (this point) empty list with just one word.
And the word is?....right "Mission".
So if you change the { Mission; } entry to { Hello; } than...ok i guess you get it Wink

So in the mission script files you see lot of "links" to the text in the rds1_text.text file

So for your mission briefings check this one:  txt_brief_Rds1 (you find it in the script and also in the rds1_text.text file).

In the rds1_text.text file everything you find between  { } will be a text file showing up in game.

nodlew
Major

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 09:21:52 PM »

Thanks for that info, Lockie!

You explain not only how to use the Efficiency trigger, but also give me an example of how to implement a Logic trigger. Very useful. I'm testing script operations right now and will try to set up a trigger as you have described.

Thanks for that explanation Rends. I will be very happy when I finally get past this mission text stumbling-block.

edit: OK, got one thing figured out. I didn't know that I had to change the line in the user_camp.engcfg file to point to the hist_text file. Now I can at least include introductory text. Now on to mission briefings....

edit: Ok, figured out how to use the line in the user_camp.engcfg file to give the mission a proper Title...

But still can't get the briefings. I don't see any link to the mission briefing text in the rds1_text.text file:

txt_mc_Rds1() { North of Brest, June,23, 1941. 13:00 (Pz-III); }
   txt_rds1_order() { Mission; }
   txt_md_rds1_wegnachbrest() { To Brest; }
   txt_md_rds1_wegnachskoki() { To Skoki; }
   txt_md_rds1_dorf() { Dubrovka; }
   txt_md_rds1_Kreuzung() { Crossroads; }
   txt_md_zwischensiegcontour() { Dubrovka; }
   txt_ldm_Rds1_text_01 () { \n Attack enemy Positions at Dubrovka ;

The only place I see any reference to the briefing is in the Rds1_scripts.engscr file here--

cs_main()
{

ext, add_misobj, brief, map_rds1karte, 4, txt_brief_Rds1, txt_rds1_order;

Maybe that's where my problem is....

After much trial and error, I now have mission Title text, intro text, a mission briefing text, and a mission Order text. Apparently the structure of the line in the mission_scripts.engscr file must not be changed--even if you don't have stuff like splash screen tga's and user-made maps to include with the mission. Also to capitalize or not to capitalize can cause errors. My briefing didn't show up until I put it in the loc_eng section of the loc_data.text file. I didn't see that in the Rds1 files. Lots of places to make small mistakes and get stuck without any decent instructions to go by. Now, I need to get map symbols and text and radio messages in the game figured out, and I'm pretty close to having it knocked.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:30:56 PM by nodlew » Logged
nodlew
Major

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »

I'm also delving into map editing which has it's own mysteries. I have figured out how to place a trench along a contour, but not how to make the trench sunken into the terrain. Placing minefields--don't know how to make a minefield yet. I was able to fill a contour with mines, but there were a million of them, like grass. Also, does every single mine have to have a big sign saying "Minen!"? That seems a counter-productive to the point of having a minefield in the first place, and would make mines extremely limited in their potential use in missions.

Here is a question to any who might know--is it possible to edit existing maps without having to start over from scratch? The video tutorial only showed one method of generating a map for editing, and it results in a blank map with nothing on it. What if I just want to add a fortification for one mg?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:20:54 PM by nodlew » Logged
nodlew
Major

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 11:40:23 PM »

I've tried in several test missions to use tripod mounted MG 34's, but they refuse to open fire on the enemy. If the gunner gets killed another man will take his place, but then he too just sits there and does nothing. They wont even move. It's strange because the Maxim on the Russian side works just fine. Anyone got a comment or a way to circumvent the problem? I've tried using German Machine Gun Squads as a replacement, but they don't behave like a machine gun emplacement, but rather like infantry. They wont stay where you put them, and they can't fire from cover because they keep wanting to kneel down or lie prone.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »

About ingame text messages there is a howto thread here:
http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.0

It could be that the tripod MG is buggy? Try it out again if it still doesn´t work i will leave a message about the problem
 at the russian board.

nodlew:Have you understand all parts of my tutorial yet? If not let me know what is missing and i will try to write it in english?
Adding map signs are easy. Will post more with images in about an hour.

EDIT: You find a adding map signs tutorial at my website now:
http://rends.gametoast.com/RENDS_Website/Welcome.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:57:44 PM by Rends » Logged

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »

Tried to make use of the "The Efficiency of a Division Has Decreased" trigger.
Set it as (fail) trigger but mission crashed ingame and i couldn´t even load the map in ME anymore until i deleted the entry in the script file.

lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 08:21:09 PM »

Tried to make use of the "The Efficiency of a Division Has Decreased" trigger.
Obviously, u did smth. wrong. Try as an example the map firing ground. There's already prepared polygon.
It has a good sample vs mentioned triggers:
Code:
tr_fire_total_1234, 0x20012, tr_fire_01 & tr_fire_02 & tr_fire_03 & tr_fire_04;
tr_fire_total_1234, 0x2000d, go point 2, 0, 0.000;
tr_fire_total_1234, 0x2000b, battle_music8, 0.800, 0;
tr_fire_total_56, 0x20012, tr_fire_05 & tr_fire_06;
tr_fire_total_56, 0x2000b, combat_war1, 1.000, 0;
tr_fire_total_56, 0x2000a;

Provocative signature removed
nodlew
Major

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »

Pretty sure the tripod mg 34 does not work. I've tried it in different missions, multiple times and the gun itself never opens fire on the enemy. The mg is accompanied by infantry, (riflemen, sub-machine gunners, and a sniper) and they will open fire and defend themselves. The mg just sits there until all of its crew are dead, or the position is overrun.

I still haven't made an effort to employ in-game text, or to work with maps, splash screens, etc. I don't anticipate much of a problem since I have the other stuff figured out. I've been side-tracked into map-editing.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 10:42:55 PM »

lockie, i will give it another try tomorrow.

nodlew. will post the MG34 bug at the russian board.

nodlew
Major

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 12:30:33 AM »

I've been trying various script operations to try to get units that are placed in defensive positions to behave properly, i.e. just stay where they are behind the mound of dirt I have made for them and fight, but there seems to be no way to keep them still. Using a script with the Defense operation causes my units to instantly take off on the move--even if the def operation is linked to a position which is itself linked to a contour that is only one spot on the map. "Defense" behavior seems to be, by default, a very dynamic behavior. In fact, units that I have ordered to Defend, tend more to go on the Attack. Strangely, this has happened more when I apply the script to a unit that I have in place and don't want to move, where if I set up a defensive position at some distance from the unit, I can get them to move to that area, take up a position, and sit still. I've had good luck getting tanks to fire from stand-off ranges that way. Maybe different kinds of units have different built in AI? So I can't get my half-track to stay still, because the AI wont let it? So far, the best way I've found to get units to sit still and fight is to place them with no scripted behavior at all. They will stay where they are until the enemy gets to a certain distance from them, and then they will start moving around--usually ruining whatever defensive plans I had put in place. I am aware that morale and experience plays a role. But the same thing happens even if my units have max morale and max experience. So, I don't know. I find it hard to believe that there is no way to make a tank fight from a prepared position and stay put.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: