Graviteam
April 28, 2024, 07:43:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New textures for the Jagdpanther.  (Read 11458 times)
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: May 29, 2011, 12:05:12 PM »

I think all of them looks excellent, but #1 simply the best!
Original jagdpanther model was made by Maleshkin. Textures were adjusted.

Provocative signature removed
norm
Oberst

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »

I wish this game had a skin slector in the mission editor so we could use them all.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 02:19:16 AM »

I'm going to stick my head out and say, the in-game Jagdpanther texture is already pretty good.

What really needs re-doing are:

- Tiger II texture. Over-done and too high a contrast. Too much weathering. Too much 'chipping'
- Ferdinand. Too much 'chipping'.
- TigerSS texture. Too much lemon-yellow coloration.
- StugIII G. Too dark.
- Hetzer. Too dark.
- Luchs. Simply bad.
- Brummbar, Marder II, Marder III : Need dark-yellow / 3-colour camo textures.

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:41:31 AM »

I'm going to stick my head out and say, the in-game Jagdpanther texture is already pretty good.

What really needs re-doing are:

- Tiger II texture. Over-done and too high a contrast. Too much weathering. Too much 'chipping'
- Ferdinand. Too much 'chipping'.
- TigerSS texture. Too much lemon-yellow coloration.
- StugIII G. Too dark.
- Hetzer. Too dark.
- Luchs. Simply bad.
- Brummbar, Marder II, Marder III : Need dark-yellow / 3-colour camo textures.

Are you sure? I looked up some pictures for the Ferdinand... the in-game version seems to be spot on.

I can try to work with the Tiger 2 and the Hetzer for you Tongue

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:49:50 AM »

The colours of the Ferdinand are okay, just too much bare metal at the edges!

I can try to work with the Tiger 2 and the Hetzer for you Tongue

Do it for the good of the many  Smiley

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:29:07 PM »

Foir the Koenigstiger why not use the green and yellow camo found on the one exposed at La Gleize in Luxemburg( it was abandoned in December 1944 by Kampfgruppe Peiper after running out of fuel.It's got the original camo colours from 1944 and it looks good! Also if you go on youtube you can see the camo on the Tiger in good running condition being kept at the Saumur Tank Museum in France.They restored the original paint.There are various Tiger II in Muenster, Bovington etc where you have different authentic camos that you could use as a model....

I agree with Kyth the current Jagdpanther's camo looks good why change it???I like Lockie's Stug IIIF camo.Could be used for the Stug III G as wsell it seems to me?
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:54:20 PM »

I think it'd be better to create an additional mod vs a new jagdpanther textures.

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:43:30 AM »

As I mentioned before, it would be a good idea to have 'blank' textures (only panel lines, weld seams, rivets, hatches, wheels) to use as skin templates for the tanks.

That way, any talented skinner could come up with something good to use in-game. It's been done all the time for flight-sims.

"Yes."
norm
Oberst

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 02:33:54 AM »

As I mentioned before, it would be a good idea to have 'blank' textures (only panel lines, weld seams, rivets, hatches, wheels) to use as skin templates for the tanks.

That way, any talented skinner could come up with something good to use in-game. It's been done all the time for flight-sims.
I Compleatly agree, it would make the job so much easier! Also, a weathering layer that could be applyed to each tank would be fantastic!
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 08:32:32 AM »

I don't understand, what the problem to take a texture? It's located in folder "textures" and any1 may take any texture and make a re-skin.

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »

any1 may take any texture and make a re-skin.

Not so easy, if you want to make a good one, with surface details and camo patterns,

Also you have the 'bump-map' to worry about, since the original crappy skins already have camouflage patterns, and bump-mapped camouflage  Shocked  Sad

The best way, if you have a new tank model, is to take the UV-unwrapped texture, which is blank, and add in the panels, rivets, hatches, wheels etc. and make that the starting point, or template, for skinning.
Also, use that template, add in weathering and texture and make a proper bump-map from that.

By the way, the in-game panzer-grey and russian-green textures are good, it's just that the dark-yellow and 3-colour camouflage textures are, in many cases, not up to standard.

Provide templates for those late-war tanks and you could widen the "talent pool", so to speak,
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:12:53 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »

The best way, if you have a new tank model, is to take the UV-unwrapped texture, which is blank, and add in the panels, rivets, hatches, wheels etc. and make that the starting point, or template, for skinning
As I've understood, u suggestion is model(in 3dmax format) uploading? But it's depends on author decision, 'cause model belongs to author and author gave a completely ready model for the game.

Provide templates for those late-war tanks and you could widen the "talent pool"
OK, I see. As I told, model creators gave already prepared model, which suited to the game. As I know, there's only one model available in 3dmax format. It's SU-122 by Mishel_new.

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »

As I've understood, u suggestion is model(in 3dmax format) uploading?

No, I'm not asking for the .3ds model.

The UV-unwrapped texture I mention is the graphic file (can be .bmp, .tga etc) derived from the surfaces of the 3D object, in a process call 'UV Mapping'.

Just to emphasize again, I am not asking for the authors' 3D models.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:42:21 PM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »

The UV-unwrapped texture I mention is the graphic file (can be .bmp, .tga etc) derived from the surfaces of the 3D object, in a process call 'UV Mapping'.
I'm dazed and confused Smiley
Could u be pleased to give me some examples what du u asking?

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »

I'm dazed and confused Smiley
Could u be pleased to give me some examples what du u asking?

Something that looks like this template here:

For the tanks.

I don't think I can be any clearer?

"Yes."
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 04:57:21 PM »

It becomes a bit clear, but I'm still puzzled. Perhaps, Mistwalker'll take a part to clear up situation?
There's a texture, i.e. for KV-1e. What the problem to take it as a templates?

Armor in color.

Initial texture in low res.

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »

It becomes a bit clear, but I'm still puzzled. Perhaps, Mistwalker'll take a part to clear up situation?
There's a texture, i.e. for KV-1e. What the problem to take it as a templates?

Initial texture in low res.

Not a problem for the KV-1e. There's only one colour, and the surface details are clear.

Now, take the example of the Tiger II:

It's hard to make out where the 'weathering' ends and the details begin! And there's already the 3-colour camouflage spraypainted over everything!

Not to say it's impossible, but it'll be a lot easier to re-do this if there was a 'blank' version of this skin.

"Yes."
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »

Not a problem for the KV-1e. There's only one colour, and the surface details are clear.
OK, so what the deference between KV-1e and KT textures?

It's hard to make out where the 'weathering' ends and the details begin! And there's already the 3-colour camouflage spraypainted over everything!
Not to say it's impossible, but it'll be a lot easier to re-do this if there was a 'blank' version of this skin.
BUT u've an armor map, where DETAILED description was applied to the texture! What du u think, did I get painted armor map for KV-1e already prepared of some1 or I had to paint it by myself? (same vs T-38, T-34-42)?

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 12:15:45 AM »

OK, so what the deference between KV-1e and KT textures?

BUT u've an armor map, where DETAILED description was applied to the texture! What du u think, did I get painted armor map for KV-1e already prepared of some1 or I had to paint it by myself? (same vs T-38, T-34-42)?

Like I said, it's still possible to make something of this mess.
Read my earlier post about why it's a good idea to have a blank template for the texture.
And, if the idea is somehow unacceptable, and the present situation's fine and dandy, then I'll say no more.  Sad
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:21:24 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 12:39:54 AM »

Without Mistwlker I don't have any chance to refresh my inner man Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: