Graviteam
April 27, 2024, 10:33:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should all unessential dialogue/speech be removed?  (Voting closed: June 18, 2014, 12:50:35 PM)
yes - 7 (58.3%)
no - 3 (25%)
I don't care - 2 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing All Unessential Dialogue/Speech from the Sound Files  (Read 11859 times)
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: May 14, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »

Hi Guys,.

I am conducting an informal a poll to find out how many of you would favour removing all the unnessary words, phrases, screams, chatter, dialogues whatever you want to call them from the game? By unnessary I mean all the inanities the AI is fond of using; in game such as `We are under fire`` `help`` `take no prisoner( in German) , I have been hit , hurrah, attack etc. We would only keep the speech part which is deemed essential that is directions given by the Commander to the crew(driver, gunner, loader) or their replies etc  such move to the right, to the left, fast forward, the distance to the target , type of enemy , actions to be taken, damage or casualty reports( left track damaged, gun damaged, f gunner killed etc). I have already culled my speech folder of all the silly and frankly annoying chatter and kept only what the game needs and try it out. It`s a pleasure not to be forced to hear worthless verbiage and it`s seem to make the game more immersive imo.

Please express your opinion whether you would favour such an option in future updates. Thanks!
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 12:57:48 PM »

That's a good idea, coz there are some complains abt unrealistic speech form infantry. It's annoying and sometimes completely inadequate to the situation. Also this mod with shortened phrases will be good for those who has a lack of PC memory.
Personally, I'd prefer availability of two modes:
- base (with a full kit of phrases)
- shortened (~30% less to compare with base mod)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:02:27 PM by lockie » Logged

Provocative signature removed
bidounegger
Major

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:25:14 PM »

Hello everybody !

I think you're right Frinik ! the most important for us (for me ) is that Steel fury must be immersive as possible !
(when I remember how was Steel fury when I bougt it when it was out and how it's now ....!!!!
that' the occasion to say many THANKS for all here who make Steel fury better and better , nice and more nice, immersive and more immersive ....)
woofiedog
Major

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »

Excellent idea and agree that the removal of unnecessary chatter would greatly add to a more realistic atmosphere for the game during play. 

Was just reading that crews of some tanks gave foot and toe commands.

The driver half buried in the 37mm brass, was unable to receive the commander's foot and toe signals.

Lord_Haw-Haw
Major

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 04:52:55 PM »

Sure why not.
It's would be hard enough to hear someone next to you inside the running tank, hearing someone outside I doubt it. Maybe only while your head is outside the tank. And the tanks with external handsets at a standstill/crawl only, infantry could talk to the CP only with a over-the-wire low quality voice.  ...but, hearing someone screaming as you run them over can add to the atmosphere Grin
33lima
Oberst

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 07:38:33 PM »

Hi Frinik

Great idea. I have been discussing 'Dust in the Wind' with Lockie and I had suggested to him that the ONLY voices the player should be able to hear are those he hears over his headphones - messages on the radio net and his crew on the intercom. Forget about tank telephones and taking the earphones off to hear what that squaddie down there is shouting about. Even if you are unbuttoned the noise of your engine, the battle and your headphones will drown out most other voices.

As well as being more realistic, removing these voices would remove serious distractions. Now, you KNOW that when you hear a voice, it is your crew or someone on the radio net.

If there is a mission where the player is playing dismounted infantry then maybe you need the voices. But for every other kind of mission, the only voices you should hear are intercom or radio messages (including the sound of your own voice saying 'Driver, advance!', 'Load AP!' or whatever).

Go for it!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of his country!" when the guns begin to shoot!
'Tommy', Rudyard Kipling, 1892
woofiedog
Major

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 08:37:29 PM »

If there is a mission where the player is playing dismounted infantry then maybe you need the voices. But for every other kind of mission, the only voices you should hear are intercom or radio messages (including the sound of your own voice saying 'Driver, advance!', 'Load AP!' or whatever).

Would it be possible to have two separate sounds,  such as while outside of the hatch and having commands, battle action, dismounted infantry or etc, from sounds that are taking place inside of the vehicle with hatches closed?
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:39:27 PM »

I don't think it' possible to distinguish between the 2...
woofiedog
Major

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 10:22:18 PM »

I don't think it' possible to distinguish between the 2

It was just a thought... but having some of the unnecessary words, phrases and etc trimmed down a bit, would be a very good.  Maybe having one edited for those that like this idea and a none edited for those that don't that can be added either way with the JSGME?
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 05:50:37 AM »

I will upload the trimmed or light version of the speech folder and post the link.Up to those who want to try it to download it and install it in lieu of the default speech folder.I am not going to make a mod out of it.... Wink
33lima
Oberst

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »

OK looking forward to this. Even unbuttoned with engine running a few feet behind and headphones on, you should hear very little of voices from nearby troops. And the advantage of knowing that if you hear a voice, it's the intercom or the radio not some background chit-chat, is alone worth making the change.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of his country!" when the guns begin to shoot!
'Tommy', Rudyard Kipling, 1892
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 01:38:07 AM »

Today voting closes and we can see that "unessential speech should be removed" received more voices. It's quite predictable result, as for me.

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 05:07:35 AM »

I am speechless! Grin Should I upload the one that I did on file 4share?
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 08:20:57 AM »

Yes, let's try it!

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »

Ok I'll look for it.it's in one of my multiple installations...
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »

Excellent frinik! Some noises are terrible and soo irritating to have hehe Cheesy

The real heroes are those that never came back.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »

I am searching my fielws right now because that mod was on my 1 TB external hard drive which became corrupted 2 1/2 weeks ago.I lost 782 gbs of personal files, backups, games & mods.... Angry
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 04:29:25 AM »

I am posting the Speech Lite mod link here:

http://www.4shared.com/zip/3vzng2Vyce/speech.html
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 12:58:39 AM »

I am searching my fielws right now because that mod was on my 1 TB external hard drive which became corrupted 2 1/2 weeks ago.I lost 782 gbs of personal files, backups, games & mods.... Angry

That's the problems with back ups.  The back ups need back ups.

Bring back 3D markers!
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 04:38:03 AM »

Absolutely right !Which why I bought another external HD which will be the back-up of my back-up external HD Grin Retrieving the data is going to cost me $ 300.00....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: