Graviteam
April 27, 2024, 03:38:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiger 1 Drivers position  (Read 15900 times)
murkz
Oberstleutnant

« on: October 12, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »

Here is a Tigers 1 drivers position I have created. I can export it as a 3ds or obj. It is not uvw mapped as I do not know how to. I am more than happy to pass it along for use in Steel Fury.

Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:25:31 PM »

Mistwalker in this forum is reworking the Tigers in Steel Fury atm so if you ask him maybe he can take your interior and use for them Tongue

The real heroes are those that never came back.
Mistwalker
Oberst

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:33:32 PM »

Driver's position won't help much. It's better to have entire textured cockpit. And I know where to find it. Dunno about copyrights though.  Tongue
murkz
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 06:06:54 AM »

Ok it was just a thought.

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »

Ok it was just a thought.

Many other tanks need cockpits, like the Panther, K.Tiger, Panzer II, Panzer III etc. etc. KV-1, BT-5, T-26, T-60 etc. etc.

I'd say nearly all of them are in need of good cockpits and I'd be glad to see them. If you need any help let me know,

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
starnon5
Hauptmann

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »

I think interior cockpits make a huge difference to the immersion in the game, so would love to see some of the add-on tanks finally getting cockpits.
VAsemkiii
Oberleutnant

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 07:18:30 PM »

Hi

If you are thinking what I am thinking the tiger interior would be a major resource hog, the resources that have  'copyright issues' were never optomised so if the engine can handle 50K polys per tiger interior then it might be worth giving it go.

Having worked on the 'copyright issue' I can say none of the resources there are fit for purpose as they were never optomised.
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 07:35:55 PM »

Hi

If you are thinking what I am thinking the tiger interior would be a major resource hog, the resources that have  'copyright issues' were never optomised so if the engine can handle 50K polys per tiger interior then it might be worth giving it go.

Having worked on the 'copyright issue' I can say none of the resources there are fit for purpose as they were never optomised.

only the player driven vehicle have interior. The Ai vehicles have "hole" segments when they open hatches etc. Its only a black box/circle. So an interior poly counts can be max 65k polys (Kyth accidantly found out the polylimit per vehicle) But in the tutorial for vehicle modding it says recommended is around 25k polys.

The real heroes are those that never came back.
VAsemkiii
Oberleutnant

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 08:11:12 PM »

Cool if it works and wont kill the FPS at 50k polys for the interior great go for it
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 10:38:23 PM »

So an interior poly counts can be max 65k polys (Kyth accidantly found out the polylimit per vehicle) But in the tutorial for vehicle modding it says recommended is around 25k polys.

Not meaning to quibble, but the game's limit is 65536 vertices (or apexes, or corners) per model. Assuming (a big assumption) that each triangle has an average of 1 or 2 unique apexes, that might work out to 43K triangles per vehicle - not including the cockpit, which is a separate model.

Another point to note: the game's original tanks were optimized with 3 level of detail models - lower detail, the further away they are. The 3 LOD's are combined in one model and also subject to the same combined limit of 65536 vertices.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:57:01 PM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
VAsemkiii
Oberleutnant

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 07:23:55 AM »

Ok well the Tiger interior has all faces drawn, even those that are behind what the player can see, and is about circa 50K with a little work at optomising it could be vastly reduced without reducing the quality of the model.

Although not sure how the  game engine handles unseen objects, I hope it is  not like TvT drawing everything and has no occlusion zones etc.

Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 05:03:07 PM »

Kyth wrote:
Assuming (a big assumption) that each triangle has an average of 1 or 2 unique apexes...

A triangle, by definition, would be comprised of exactly THREE VERTICES. A "quad" would be comprised of four vertices. A "poly", if the graphics engine can display it, could be made up of any other number greater than two vertices, (which, of course, can only describe a LINE or axis).

Very odd that this system has limits based on vertices rather than some kind of faces/surfaces/polys. A lot of the underpinnings of this sim are quirky, odd, and, honestly confusing as all hell.  Huh? Huh?

Number me in the group that thinks that custom interior crew spaces for each vehicle is more a necessity than a "nice-to-have". I'll take it a step further and say that a new addition isn't complete (nor ready for release) without it.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »

Kyth wrote:
Assuming (a big assumption) that each triangle has an average of 1 or 2 unique apexes...

A triangle, by definition, would be comprised of exactly THREE VERTICES. A "quad" would be comprised of four vertices. A "poly", if the graphics engine can display it, could be made up of any other number greater than two vertices, (which, of course, can only describe a LINE or axis).

A standalone triangle - 3 vertices
2 attached triangles - average of 2 vertices per triangle
Subdivide the 2 triangles, now they're 4 triangles - average of 1.25 vertices per triangle.

Very odd that this system has limits based on vertices rather than some kind of faces/surfaces/polys.

It's not a unique limitation among games, I think,

"Yes."
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 03:46:08 PM »

That's some rather odd math.... vertices, as single points in space, don't come in fractions, do they? Well, I suppose they are shared whenever adjacent to another poly... so, I suppose I can follow on a conceptual level.

Still, anytime I've been under the hood in a flight sim, the engine deals with surfaces/polys. Usually the criteria was whether the system would display quads, tris or even polys. Most were strictly tris or polys only, and if your model wasn't properly constructed, either parts lacking the proper surfaces wouldn't display... or, if ANY single part of the entire model didn't conform, the whole kit and kaboodle wouldn't load (extremely annoying during production). So, in that regard, the engine did count vertices.... but when the discussion went to complexity/graphics strain, the models were described in terms of poly count.

=========================================

By the way, if anyone's interested, I will lend my modest modeling skills to any interiors people are willing to work on, provided I don't get tasked with the import of it. If you can provide me the mesh of the body and turret (which I can flip inside out and use as a basis to model the interior positions), give me poly limits and 2D art parameters, and point me to some photographic or plan-drawing sources or other technical data (manuals are good), I will create the interiors and the textures for any vehicle in the game. Someone else will have to handle the animations and import into the game, as I haven't even begun to get my hands dirty with that stuff.  PM me, anyone so inclined...

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
oscar19681
Oberleutnant

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »

Is the interior work for the tiger I dead or is someone still working on this?
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 01:30:40 AM »

I'd venture to say that it's dead.... Huh?
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 01:50:15 AM »

Is the interior work for the tiger I dead or is someone still working on this?

I think it's not necessarily dead, just ask Murkz politely for the cockpit 3D model.

You'll still need to put in the effort to make the cockpit compatible with the exterior 3D model, do the interior texturing, moving hatches, moving steering wheel etc. etc. Not an impossible task!

"Yes."
murkz
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 06:33:30 AM »

The Tiger 1 interior has had a bit more love of late, as i44 requested to use it but the cockpit still needs a uvw map. Something I intend to do at some point Smiley

oscar19681
Oberleutnant

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »

please keep working on the interieur. I,m having a ball with the tiger . And not to mention that it would render tiger vs t-34 useless if we have a complete tiger interieur/
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 01:30:50 AM »

T-34 versus Tiger is already useless as it is I am afraid Grin limited scripted missions, ridiculous AI, poor FX.Only the maps are worth keeping! Only ZeeWolf on the SP side and Murkz and others on the MP side are keeping that game alive.Kudos to them!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: