Graviteam
April 28, 2024, 01:39:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 13728 times)
tonyuk
Major

« on: December 26, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »

Just bought this game and very impressed. Never bothered when I found out lighthouse
went bust as I thought it would not be supported.

Anyway just 2 question:

How do I know how much damage my tank or crew member has taken. There seems to be no indicator for this, except maybe optics or glass damage in the turret. I thought the turret had no glass but apparently damage shows cracks. It is a little annoying to find the game ends saying I am severly injured with no idea I was injured in the first place.

Finally the commanders sight in the T34 is blocked by the turret lid, which makes it awfully difficult to manage this tank - any fix for this or did the Russians really drive around with lid in front of the commander's face?

Thanks.
kapulA
Oberst

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 04:50:43 PM »

Hey Tony, the only real indicators of damage taken is the state of the tank itself - it's either battle-worthy, or it isn't - there aren't any HUD indicators of damaged components (even though they would be useful), so you have to gather all that information yourself, just as a real tank commander would. I admit that it's sometimes unrealistically hard to figure out just what got damaged (for example, if your gun barrel gets damaged and you can no longer use your main gun, there will be no indicators, so you that is usually a guaranteed restart), but as a whole, I think the system is fairly good.
To your 2nd question - yes, the Russians really did have to cope with that until the later T-34 models fixed the issue. Smiley
tonyuk
Major

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 05:48:57 PM »

Thanks Kapu1A, that is helpful. Yes, I have already noticed the gun woont fire sometimes, assume partial damage, or shells wont load. The aother annoying things is the constant sound of machine guns firing even when I am not near the main battle area to outflank the enemy. Oh well cannot be perfect I suppose.

I hope the WWII flavour will continue, I probably will not buy BOW mainly for this reason and the landscape look rather flat too.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »

Tonyuk, normally when the tank sustains damage or one of the crew is killed there's a voice over but since the playing sides are German and Soviet the voice over are in German and Russian( announcing for example that the gun is damaged, the right track is broken etc).There's an option in the menu to have subtitles in English so the info is relayed to you in a language you can understand.At the end of a mission too you get your stats; how many hits you tank sustained casualties inflicted , hits etc.

Welcome to Steel Fury and welcome to this forum!
tonyuk
Major

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »

I cannot find the English Sub title option. Running SPM 1.5.
Statistics at end though do appear in English.

Ok, I notice English subtitles do appear automatically. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:31:31 PM by tonyuk » Logged
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 12:04:35 AM »

Welcome Tony
  This game rocks as I'm sure you're finding out. The level of support from folks like Frinik and Kyth and a host of others is amazing to say the least.

.There's an option in the menu to have subtitles in English so the info is relayed to you in a language you can understand.

Ok Frinik,
  You've got me on this one. when I first installed the game English subtitles regarding damage, target spotting etc appeared below the screen. Even with SPM 1.5 all was well. Ever since I installed the NTA 1.3 mod the subtitles are gone. I just went through the setup/options menus and could find no reference to this.

And while I'm speaking of NTA. After the install, in the ME many (maybe 50%) of the Divisions available  (such as 1 x Tiger, 3 X t34 etc) available are now in Russian making them unreadable. Any clue as to how to reverse either one of these and get them back to pre NTA.

Cheers and Happy New Year to everyone!
H

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 02:56:41 AM »

Hemi you've got 2 options to try:

1) go into your game main data folder ;data/k42/loc-rus/cdOpen the cd folder if the last entry in the list of files is anything other than tex_pack9.datapack then delete it!Sometime when you install new mods or missions another entry is added( can't remember what the name is) which turns everything into Russian.You delete it and you're fine.

2) otherwise enable or re-enable your English-language patch in your JSGME and make sure it's the last thing enabled.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 01:55:22 PM by frinik » Logged
tonyuk
Major

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »

Another small problem - I dont properly understand the map F8 mainly how do I know which one is my tank amongst all the polygons, dont seem to be marked in a specific color. Otherwise I do not use it too much.

Otherwise as you say this game rocks, just needs all the best mods incorporated into an expansion, WW2 of course, to make  grognard buyers more aware of it and gain more popularity. Many of the mission objectives should be converted to English, but not a big deal as most are similar.

Best wishes to all.
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »

Another small problem - I dont properly understand the map F8 mainly how do I know which one is my tank amongst all the polygons, dont seem to be marked in a specific color. Otherwise I do not use it too much.

Otherwise as you say this game rocks, just needs all the best mods incorporated into an expansion, WW2 of course, to make  grognard buyers more aware of it and gain more popularity. Many of the mission objectives should be converted to English, but not a big deal as most are similar.

Best wishes to all.
Your tank icon color in map screen is a tat more brighter than the other blue or red tank icons. If you get lost on the map just click the tank symbol on top of the screen and it will centre your tank on the map. The other symbols are described in the manual.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »

Tony
  This annoys me too, took awhile to get used to the slight color difference of the unit icon. Do what rends says and/or zoom the map in and you'll be able to see the color shade much better. In a crowded field your tank gets mixed up with all the others very easily. Would have been nice if the icon was a solid color or something easier to distinguish.

Cheers
H
tonyuk
Major

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »

I thought that might be the case, however I seem to recall when I click on the tank
symbol it zooms into where my tank is, but then I could not zoom out with the tank symbol still on to get a wider view, but not sure, could be I am doing something wrong.

Rends, really enjoy your Barbarossa mod, I assume this will be extended to reach Moscow? And the other ones too. Took me a while to get them to work though, being a newbie.

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 03:28:59 PM »

You can simple zoom in and out of the map using the mouse wheel or the zoom buttons you find in the lower right corner of the screen.

About Barbarossa extended to Moscow, this would be lot of work. I´ve made 10 missions just for the first 5 days of the Barbarossa campaign. I might plan to add another 2 so the first week is complete and the germans at the Berezina river.
My Orel 43 campaign is still on the todo list but maybe i will continue Barbarossa anytime in the future.

tonyuk
Major

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 05:03:40 PM »

Ok got that-silly of me not to spot that.
Yes would take a lot of time, but I would gladly pay for these in an expansion some time next year. You cannot invest all that time for nothing!
tonyuk
Major

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »

'Mission Failed'. I can understand this when I am severely wounded, but the message often pops up when I am about to capture an objective, but never any reason given for the failure.
kapulA
Oberst

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »

Can you give us the specific mission? Mayhaps you ignored an objective or someone died that wasn't supposed to? Smiley
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 01:44:15 PM »

'Mission Failed'. I can understand this when I am severely wounded, but the message often pops up when I am about to capture an objective, but never any reason given for the failure.

I'm guessing this is one of the Tiger missions  Smiley

"Peremoga" maybe?

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=9679.0
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:52:18 PM by Kyth » Logged

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
tonyuk
Major

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 02:42:22 PM »

No not a Tiger mission. It was Fridericus 1-Federovka May 14.
kapulA
Oberst

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 02:46:18 PM »

Hm, that's one of my favourites, and I've never had any issues of the sort with it - did the counterattacking tanks & infantry maybe retake the village on the other side of the bridge that you were supposed to take and hold?
tonyuk
Major

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »

Yes, that could be it. I stopped before I got inside the village to take out any opposition first. I saw a russian tank enter the village, I killed it, maybe there were
other infantry in there as well. It has happened to me on other missions. So perhaps I am being too cautious, you know tanks in towns are vulnerable. I also noticed my infantry were hanging around my tanks, therefore I think I should have entered village first and the infantry follow. I think thats why I have failed other missions. It would be a good idea if a reason were given, so I can correct my errors??
Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 03:23:34 PM »

I suggest to check the mission orders from time to time while playing.
Just hit the F8 key to bring on the map window and click on the book icon on top of the screen if it´s not already selected. Then you can reread your mission orders. You can also click on each short descriptions you find on the right to get more informations.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: