Graviteam
May 03, 2024, 06:50:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Excuse my Ignorance Re August Patch!  (Read 5812 times)
cullen-skink
Oberleutnant

« on: October 19, 2012, 09:38:08 AM »

Hello, All

I bought this game months ago now. Never did a lot with it, but I am now keen to get things going. After quite a few tries / fails, I think I have things in reasonable order. The updater says...

1. Game Update  3.08
2. District Update 1.03
3. Add-on Blau 1.09
4. Add-on Sokolova 1.07

I see there is much chat about August patches, game updates etc. Could anyone tell me if these are actually finished and ready to go? I have to confess, I don't really know the difference between all the different versions etc. There was a thread about 2 files I think I need (game and patch?), but they seemed to be in testing phase, plus one of them was a GT2 extension file, so I had no idea what to do with it.

If the August stuff is ready to go, could someone tell me

a. where the files actually are (location, not "look at a website", if possible)
b. what to do with them (step by step, in baby language)
c. If they are still in the testing phase and a bit unreliable, that's fine - I'll wait

I hope this doesn't come across as an impatient "give me information now!" type request. Not intended that way at all. I am just really unfamiliar with this method of updating and don't want to screw up what I have (I'm currently working in a remote part of North Africa and downloading anything from the internet is a LONG process).

Loving the game so far - the German troops seem a bit pessimistic though - they seem to shout "We're all going to die!" constantly....

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »

I bought this game months ago now. Never did a lot with it, but I am now keen to get things going. After quite a few tries / fails, I think I have things in reasonable order. The updater says...

1. Game Update  3.08
2. District Update 1.03
3. Add-on Blau 1.09
4. Add-on Sokolova 1.07

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=10844.0  Stickey thread for current updates after August patch.

If you don't update the August patches then you are current with the 580 engine.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:11:39 AM by dane49 » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:07:58 AM »

If the August stuff is ready to go, could someone tell me

a. where the files actually are (location, not "look at a website", if possible)
b. what to do with them (step by step, in baby language)
c. If they are still in the testing phase and a bit unreliable, that's fine - I'll wait

http://www.steelfury.com/demo/k43t/eng/update/op_star_game_update_v581_eng_alpha1.exe
http://www.steelfury.com/demo/k43t/eng/update/k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng_beta2.gt2extension

I down loaded or right clicked on link "save target as" to desk top and clicked on the v581 installation file after it appeared on desk top,the updater will automatically appear and will ask if you want to replace current files click yes,then save and play.

v581 engine must be updated and installed 1st before august patch.

There seems to be a minor quirk with the file but nothing major and I don't know if the problem is on my end or the august file but was able to solve it by restoring my PC to an earlier date.Actually I blame Windows updates because the problem only manifests itself after Windows updates my PC.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:33:23 AM by dane49 » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:15:51 AM »

Loving the game so far - the German troops seem a bit pessimistic though - they seem to shout "We're all going to die!" constantly

Yeah big Russian joke-I turned all the sounds off in options menu except for ambient.

I don't speak Russian but I think the Russian pixel soldiers are saying "Lets go kick some German ass"
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »

Also,there is a new uniform mod Winter/Summer to go with August patch

http://narod.ru/disk/62436311001.953b0b3f658cce2739ec1216570f25b9/Achtung_Panzer_Ostfront_Kharkov.exe.html

This is by Night Postman and is a very excellent mod to have if you update for August.

This file has been deleted by user,SORRY. I got it 4 days ago before He deleted it.Night Postman must be working on and improving it some more and I'll post the new link when He is finished.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:01:49 AM by dane49 » Logged
cullen-skink
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:49:58 AM »

Thank you very much for your reply, dane!

I will give those downloads a try later tonight - the way things are with the server here, if you want to download anything with any hope of it completing, is to get up in the middle of the night and try it when everyone else is asleep.

Should the main menu in the game say something like "Version 5.81 (XXXX), Update Aug 12" if it is successful?

Learning all the buttons from scratch again - long process - have so far managed to shell my own troops twice - probably quite realistic, when you think about it. Also had a Marder SP gun become trapped by a bush - A BUSH! I can imagine that guy radoing in to HQ "We cannot join the attack, Herr Feldmarschall - there is a large clump of grass blocking our path....". Also just made the basic mistake of advancing past a machine gun nest, then finding out a Russian soldier had run out of the woods, manned the gun and cut my squad to ribbons from behind - oops.

Love the replay value of this - not like so many games where you play once, know where the AT guns are flank them easily.

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »

Should the main menu in the game say something like "Version 5.81 (XXXX), Update Aug 12" if it is successful?

Yes
Tom
Oberleutnant

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »

Hello, All

Loving the game so far - the German troops seem a bit pessimistic though - they seem to shout "We're all going to die!" constantly....

Hello cullen-skink,

yes I also think our russian friends from Graviteam have quite a sense of humor  Cheesy

I do not understand the russian talking in the game, but they seem to have much more fun then their german counterparts.
By the way: Often the german comments do not fit to the current situation, "Achtung Panzer = Tank spottet" : no tank  in sight at all, "Feind gesichtet = Enemy sighted" : must be a german hallucination... and so on.

I really like this game  Grin
cullen-skink
Oberleutnant

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »

OK, I am making progress.

I have the game update fixed - it is reading Version 5.81 (1939) when I start the game, with update May 12. I cannot do anything with the August patch file though. I can download it OK as a zip file. When I try to decompress the file though (using Winzip or Winrar) I get lots of different error messages.

From the stage of having the zipped August patch file on my desktop, anyone have any idea what I should do with it? Move it somewhere? open it? decompress it? Apologies if I am really stupid here, but I think I am really close to having this fixed and I am doing something wrong at the final step.

Reagrding Tom's comments - I am old enough to remember playing Sudden Strike back in the olden days - in that game, the Russians seemed to shout "Geronimo!!!" a lot - although I am sure that's not what they were really saying...

cullen-skink
Oberleutnant

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 02:03:35 PM »

Hmmm...I am getting REALLY confused now.

I THOUGHT I had installed the game update - when I start the game, the main menu says "Version 5.81 (1939) Update May 12". So I assumed here I had at least got the game update sorted out - I downloaded and installed the file, correct destination directory, get the message that it has succesfully installed etc.  - but when I open the update window from the game menu, it says "Version 3.08" - which I think means it has NOT worked!

When I try to then install the patch (from updater window, I find the zipped patch file and hit "open") I get a notepad pop-up called "last bug" which is a blank page paprt from six question marks.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Txema
Generalmajor

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »

please, see the answer in my previous thread:

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=10884.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: