Graviteam
June 04, 2024, 04:23:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Diary of a Campaign Maker (or How Hard Can It Be?)  (Read 102878 times)
Mistwalker
Oberst

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 10:55:20 PM »

Any suggestions?

Suggestion maybe to replace the stock houses with the new ones? The stock ones look completely out of place in the northern regions.

Also a good news - you'll be able to use KV-1S for your mission: http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=53676&p=1802884&viewfull=1#post1802884
Will be released with updated patch for UU in just 2-3 days.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 01:53:44 AM »

Anothe rpiec eof good news is this taken from the Sukhoi/Avia forum:http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=49196&page=31

Quote " Re: Funny screenshots Smiley

Message from the deviator

The bridge is excellent! Ice miracle! Apparently planned new winter fashion?
 Planned. Unquote"

Apparently, Stone 2009 is making a new winter mod complete with ice and steel bridges.You may wnat to wait until he releases it before you make your mission.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 01:56:01 AM by frinik » Logged
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »

Suggestion maybe to replace the stock houses with the new ones? The stock ones look completely out of place in the northern regions.

Ah yes, I would like to do this, but I do not have graphics software that would enable me to do this. For now I will make do with the extras from Rends and Donken.

My trees are now more to my liking, so I attempted to put a trench in front of them. When I saw the result, I had to laugh. I was half expecting to see some monkeys smacking the ground with an old bone (cue: kettle drums and the 2001 Space Odessey theme).  Cheesy

Any suggestions on my settings?
Mistwalker
Oberst

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »

Ah yes, I would like to do this, but I do not have graphics software that would enable me to do this. For now I will make do with the extras from Rends and Donken.
The wooden houses are good. I'm talking about white ones.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »

When I saw the result, I had to laugh.
COOL! I like the new mountains!

Provocative signature removed
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2012, 06:36:57 PM »

Trenches are made by the Infantry you garrison there Smiley

Friedrich-Wilhelm
Hauptmann

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »

Wow! Devil's Tower! Now all that we need are the aliens from "Close Encounters"... Wink

But seriously, please keep trying. I think you're onto something there.

Cheers,

FW
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2012, 11:57:41 PM »

Any suggestions on my settings?

You might want to experiment, does it happen all over the map, or only in that spot? There might be some other terrain modifier at work,

Or then again it could be a really bad termite problem, it looks more appropriate for "SABOW".  Grin

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »

The mystical Kyth was right it seems. I placed a trench on the other side of the river and it worked. I couldn’t fix the monolith, so I dragged it out of the way, keeping it as a reference. I don’t know exactly what I changed to prevent it happening again, as I fiddled with lots of settings, including margins. But I successfully made a trench on this side of the river and dragged it into the right position.

I’ve added more details and so I think I have Siivertsi ready for mission making.

The village seems peaceful enough, but for centuries it has been a battleground.

Further up the road is the wooded cemetery. Here the river is narrowest, and even the average soldier can see it is the easiest spot to cross. The Panzergrenadiers have prepared their positions between the cemetery and the river.

The caretaker of the cemetery has left his peaceful spot to the soldiers. At least they can take shelter for a short while.

Across the river lies Russia. It cannot be long until they come. How many of these soldiers will find their own graves here?

Now how do I save this so I don’t mess it up when mission making?
How hard can it be?
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »

Nice map! Remember to back up your file, it's the one with the '.polypack' extension.

"Yes."
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 12:09:56 PM »

This landscape looks like european style Wink  All houses has a straight sequence, all roads are placed precisely and smoothly. And I'm not sure that ppl in the village prefer to cultivate a fir-trees and birches to fruit gardens Smiley
Anyway, environment looks good and I think with a new up-coming "winter-mod" it'll become much better.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:42:34 PM by lockie » Logged

Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »

For mission building, I'd suggest setting the game at difficulty level '5' and morale/expertise at '2'. i.e. "How the mission is meant to be played".

Everything needs to work fine at that level first,

So just to clarify, is that the user settings Allied and Enemy at 2 and Force Balance at 5,

or Mission Building settings Morals and Experience, or Chance of Occurrence and Balance of Occurrence?
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »

So just to clarify, is that the user settings Allied and Enemy at 2 and Force Balance at 5
It's interesting question, coz I'm still hesitating how these settings does.
For example, we've a tank with: morale - 40%, experience - 50%.
Then, we play the game with such settings:
- balance "5"(balance doesn't make any difference)
- Allies experience "4"(maximum)
Does it mean that now we've a tank with: morale - 100%, experience - 100%?
And if we set it up to Allies experience "3", what the percentage of morale/experience we'll get?

Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:31 AM »

OK now I am having some fun!

With the Siivertsi map 95% complete, I started constructing mission 1 of the planned set of four.

Thanks to Lockie’s map the main road creates a road embankment which might be a logical place for a tank platoon to hold station as marked by the blue circles. So four Tiger sit and wait.

On the east side of the river, two sets of three T34s wait with mixed infantry, as marked by the red circles. I assigned them an advance script as marked by the red boxes. The intention is that they cross the river at this narrow point and use the cover of the cemetery as they advance towards the village.

Playing this scenario worked very well. The Soviets got up some speed before being spotted by the Tigers. The rising river bank sheltered them and the two forces didn’t fully engage until they met at the cemetery.

To complete the building of the mission, I need to add Panzergrenadiers in the trench, a couple of AT guns in the pits and a mortar platoon hidden in the cemetery. Hopefully, this will balance out by doubling the Soviet forces.

When I say the map is 95% complete, I mean that by driving tanks for both sides, I can see that I need to add mines and tank traps to prevent the Soviet player crossing the river near the town. That would seem a logical move in real life too.

How hard can it be?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:14:48 AM by Estnische » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »

For mission building, I'd suggest setting the game at difficulty level '5' and morale/expertise at '2'. i.e. "How the mission is meant to be played".

Everything needs to work fine at that level first,

So just to clarify, is that the user settings Allied and Enemy at 2 and Force Balance at 5,

or Mission Building settings Morals and Experience, or Chance of Occurrence and Balance of Occurrence?

It's the user settings for Allied and Enemy experience and Force Balance.

Take note of the 'Balance of Occurrence' setting, this controls whether the unit makes its appearance, based on the Force Balance selected. (1 - easiest, 10 - hardest / impossible)

"Yes."
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »

I assigned them an advance script as marked by the red boxes.
It's not a god idea, imho. I'd prefer to force AI to find a way by himself.
Like this:

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2012, 06:35:17 AM »

Another way is to set up 2 or more pathways for the Soviets to move.
These could be randomly chosen by the movement script. Things will play out slightly differently each time!

"Yes."
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2012, 08:01:25 AM »

Lockie and Kyth - I understand what you mean, however, historically the battle took place in the cemetery. I merely made the village as a Russian objective should the Germans be defeated at the cemetery. I'll change it for mission 2 to have both paths, so that the Russians achieve a bridgehead on the western bank.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2012, 08:09:19 AM »

Lockie and Kyth - I understand what you mean, however, historically the battle took place in the cemetery. I merely made the village as a Russian objective should the Germans be defeated at the cemetery. I'll change it for mission 2 to have both paths, so that the Russians achieve a bridgehead on the western bank.

Okay, I appreciate the fidelity to historical events as they happened.  Smiley  But at the time, there was always the possibility of things turning out differently, due to random differences in snap decisions, different timing of events and so on.

By the way, I took another look at the proposed force balance, and 4 Tigers vs 6 T-34's sounds a little too easy  Smiley

A detachment of 2 Tigers vs 6 T-34's should be a little more challenging, (just a little more)

"Yes."
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2012, 08:21:30 AM »

By the way, I took another look at the proposed force balance, and 4 Tigers vs 6 T-34's sounds a little too easy  Smiley

A detachment of 2 Tigers vs 6 T-34's should be a little more challenging, (just a little more)

That was just a starting point. I think at least 12 T34s, as the Germans will have a pair of ATs, couple of MGs and a mortar squad.  Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: